IAEA to Conduct On-Site Evaluation from Day One of Japan's Contaminated Water Discharge to Ensure Safety Standards (Update)
IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi's Statement
"Commitment to Near Real-Time Monitoring and Information Provision"
On the 24th, as the Japanese government announced plans to discharge contaminated water from the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) stated that it will assess compliance with safety standards on-site from the very first day of the discharge. In response to international safety concerns, the IAEA pledged to conduct real-time monitoring as much as possible, but there are worries that opposition from neighboring countries, including China, will continue.
On the 22nd, when the Japanese government’s announcement was made, the IAEA posted a statement on its website under the name of Director General Rafael Grossi, declaring, "We will verify and evaluate on-site from the start of the contaminated water discharge and continuously thereafter whether it complies with safety standards."
It added, "We will disclose data that the international community can use, including real-time and near-real-time monitoring data," and "We will provide additional updates as soon as the discharge begins."
The IAEA reiterated in its statement that there are no issues with the Fukushima contaminated water discharge. The IAEA said, "Over the past two years, we have thoroughly reviewed the safety of handling and discharging ALPS (Advanced Liquid Processing System) treated water and released a final report on the 4th of last month," noting, "This report concluded that the discharge method complies with international safety standards and that the radiological impact on people and the environment will be minimal."
It also added, "The IAEA opened an office at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant last month," and "Staff will work there to continue monitoring and evaluation."
Earlier, Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida held a cabinet meeting at 10 a.m. that day and announced that the schedule for discharging contaminated water from the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant would be set for the 24th. Prime Minister Kishida stated, "The specific timing is expected to be the 24th, provided there are no disruptions due to weather or sea conditions," emphasizing, "Disposal of ALPS treated water is an unavoidable task to realize the reconstruction of Fukushima. The decision was made based on expert reviews conducted over more than six years."
Following the Japanese government’s announcement, Kyodo News reported that Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) has begun full-scale preparations for the marine discharge of contaminated water. TEPCO is said to have started transferring the contaminated water from tanks to pipelines for discharge.
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- [Breaking] Park Sukeun, Central Labor Relations Commission Chair: "Some Gaps Narrowed Between Samsung Electronics Labor and Management"
- "If That's the Case, Why Not Just Buy Stocks?" ETFs in Name Only, Now 'Semiconductor-Heavy' and a Playground for Short-Term Traders
- "I Take Full Responsibility"... Chung Yongjin Issues Direct Apology for Starbucks 'May 18 Controversy' (Update)
- "No Cure Available, Spread Accelerates... Already 105 Dead, American Infected"
This discharge decision comes 12 years after the Great East Japan Earthquake on March 11, 2011, which caused the Fukushima nuclear plant explosion accident.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.