Former Executive Director Heo Mun-young Sexual Harassment Allegation
"Resignation Acceptance Also Mistaken... Withdrawal Difficult"

The Busan International Film Festival (BIFF) apologized for issues in the investigation process of the sexual violence case involving former executive committee member Heo Mun-young.


On the 15th, BIFF issued a statement saying, "We sincerely apologize with a bowed head for the sexual harassment and sexual violence incidents that occurred in the workplace."


Former Executive Committee Chairman Heo Mun-young [Photo by Yonhap News]

Former Executive Committee Chairman Heo Mun-young [Photo by Yonhap News]

View original image

It continued, "We deeply apologize for describing the workplace sexual harassment and sexual violence case as an individual issue in the press release dated May 31."


The festival stated, "There was no prompt internal action regarding the incident, and the announcement did not sufficiently consider the victim's position. We will sincerely cooperate with the internal investigation following the recommendation procedures of the Korean Film Gender Equality Center Ddun-dun and establish institutional measures to prevent recurrence."


When Heo announced her intention to resign on May 11, she specified a resignation date of May 31. Although the resignation was effective, it was not accepted at the festival's request. The secretariat accepted the resignation at the 4th board meeting held on the 2nd, making it effective.


Regarding this, the festival said, "We deeply apologize for hastily accepting the resignation without consulting the victim, which caused further harm to the victim."


However, the festival maintains that it is difficult to retract the acceptance of the executive committee member's resignation. They said, "We reviewed whether there is a way to correct this even now, but legal advice indicated that retracting the acceptance of Heo's resignation would be illegal."


BIFF treats this case as a "workplace sexual harassment and sexual violence incident" and promised to release a press statement and apology after the investigation concludes.


They also announced that an external fact-finding team (Busan Sexual Violence Counseling Center and Busan Cultural and Arts Sector Sexual Harassment and Sexual Violence Counseling Center) will be appointed to conduct a thorough and transparent investigation.


The festival stated, "There is no intention to evade the investigation by accepting the resignation. This incident occurred during employment at the festival and will be investigated accordingly. We will supplement with a workplace sexual harassment and sexual violence prevention manual reflecting the festival's characteristics. Currently, the prevention and response guide from the Korean Film Gender Equality Center Ddun-dun has been posted on the company intranet. We will strengthen related education and establish additional institutional measures."


Heo submitted her resignation on the 11th of last month in protest against the establishment of an operations committee chairperson. Subsequently, a festival employee reported to the Korean Film Gender Equality Center Ddun-dun that they had been subjected to sexual harassment, sexual assault, and other sexual violence by Heo.



Heo denied the allegations, stating, "It is not true," and added, "I decided to resign because returning to the festival would lead to further harm."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing