Presidential Office: "Prompt Establishment of ROK-US-Japan Consultative Body for Real-Time Sharing of North Korean Missile Information"
Agreement on 'Real-time Sharing of Missile Warning Information' at Last Year's Korea-US-Japan Summit
"We Will Send the Undisputed Top Experts" Regarding the Fukushima Inspection Team
The Presidential Office announced on the 9th that South Korea, the United States, and Japan plan to promptly establish a trilateral consultative body for real-time sharing of North Korean missile information.
A senior official from the Presidential Office told reporters at the Yongsan Presidential Office that afternoon, "The real-time sharing of missile information among South Korea, the U.S., and Japan was agreed upon at the trilateral summit last November," adding, "Currently, the military authorities of the three countries are developing the system. We will do our best to establish the system as soon as possible."
Previously, the leaders of South Korea, the U.S., and Japan agreed to share North Korean 'missile warning information' in real time during a trilateral meeting held on the sidelines of the ASEAN summit in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, last November. Missile warning information and missile information respectively include launch point, flight direction, impact point, and detection, tracking, and engagement information.
Regarding the mention of a 'South Korea-U.S.-Japan security consultative body' ahead of the upcoming trilateral summit in Hiroshima, Japan, next week during the G7 meeting, the official said, "Although Japan's participation in the Nuclear Consultative Group (NCG) between South Korea and the U.S. is not immediate, if the focus is placed within the framework of a nuclear deterrence consultative body, it cannot be said that it is impossible in the future."
However, the official emphasized, "For now, South Korea and the U.S. are striving to effectively implement the Nuclear Consultative Group and the 'Washington Declaration' between the two countries."
Regarding Japan's statement that it will not play an evaluative or confirmatory role in dispatching an inspection team related to South Korea's discharge of contaminated water from the Fukushima nuclear power plant, the official stressed, "Our government's policy is to send the highest experts recognized by both domestic and international parties to ensure there are no points of concern for the public."
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "If That's the Case, Why Not Just Buy Stocks?" ETFs in Name Only, Now 'Semiconductor-Heavy' and a Playground for Short-Term Traders
- Is This the Peak? As Others Hesitate..."The Answer Is Clear for Surviving the KOSPI 10,000 Era"
- "I Take Full Responsibility"... Chung Yongjin Issues Direct Apology for Starbucks 'May 18 Controversy' (Update)
- "No Cure Available, Spread Accelerates... Already 105 Dead, American Infected"
He continued, "The Japanese Prime Minister promised that 'there will never be a discharge that causes concern for the health of their own country and the Korean people.' There is no further assurance beyond that," adding, "In that context, we hope that the on-site inspection team will lead to results that dispel public concerns."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.