‘Returning Youke’... Self-Employed ‘Rejoice’, Citizens ‘Anxious’
Resumption of Short-Term Visa Issuance for Chinese Visitors on the 11th
Self-Employed: "Increase in Chinese Customers... Expecting Sales Growth"
Citizens: "COVID-19 Not Over, Concerned About Resurgence"
[Asia Economy Reporter Tae-won Choi] As travel routes to Korea reopen for Chinese tourists, reactions among self-employed business owners and citizens are mixed regarding the influx of yukeo (Chinese travelers). While self-employed individuals expressed expectations for increased sales, citizens voiced concerns about quarantine measures.
The government resumed short-term visa services for Chinese visitors, including tourist visas, which had been temporarily suspended on the 13th. This came about 40 days after the government restricted the issuance of short-term Korean visas at Chinese consulates?except for certain purposes?due to a surge in COVID-19 cases among arrivals from China on the 2nd of last month. Along with visa issuance, air routes will also be expanded. On the 17th, Prime Minister Han Deok-soo stated, “Currently, there are 62 weekly international flights between Korea and China. We plan to increase this to 80 flights per week by the end of this month and gradually raise it to 100 flights per week next month, in line with bilateral agreements.”
Kim, the owner of a meat restaurant near Hongdae Entrance Station in Mapo-gu, Seoul, said on the 21st, "Just last night (the 20th), two groups of Chinese customers came, but we had to turn them away because communication was impossible. Prices are very high and the store is struggling, so Chinese tourists would be a great help," expressing his expectations for Chinese tourists.
Photo by Tae-won Choi skking@
Self-employed business owners expressed hope that this could provide some relief amid the economic downturn. On the 21st, Kim (56), the owner of a Korean BBQ restaurant near Hongdae Entrance Station in Mapo-gu, Seoul, said, “Just last night, two groups of Chinese customers came, but we had to turn them away because communication was difficult. Prices are very high, and the business is struggling, so Chinese customers could be a big help.”
He added, “Before the COVID-19 outbreak, I always used translation applications and even hired part-time workers who could speak Chinese. I plan to reinstall the translation app first and then consider hiring staff who can speak Chinese depending on the situation.”
Kim (60), the owner of a nearby Western-style restaurant, also said, “Before the COVID-19 outbreak, foreign customers accounted for about 30% of sales, with Chinese customers being the largest group. Since Monday this week, the number of Chinese customers has noticeably increased. We are barely holding on in these tough times, so an increase in Chinese customers would be a great help.”
On the other hand, citizens expressed concerns that the ongoing COVID-19 situation might worsen again due to relaxed quarantine measures. Shin (26), a job seeker, said, “The short-term visa suspension was also due to quarantine concerns, and now that indoor mask mandates have been lifted, I’m afraid another large-scale outbreak might occur. I hope the government pays close attention to quarantine measures.”
Office worker Kim (37) also said, “My first thought is fear. The COVID-19 virus hasn’t completely disappeared, so I think we need to be cautious until the end to prevent another resurgence.”
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "Jeong Yu-kyung Is a Neighbor"...Itaewon Standalone House with Record 23.2 Billion Won Appraisal Up for Auction [Real Estate AtoZ]
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
Experts assessed that since the COVID-19 situation is clearly subsiding, there is no need for major concern about quarantine. Professor Kim Tak, an infectious disease specialist at Soonchunhyang University Hospital, said, “After three years of COVID-19, a significant level of immunity has already formed within the community. The likelihood of a sudden change in the epidemic situation is low. It is more important to focus on policy support through improving the system, such as strengthening infection control and healthcare system capabilities for infectious diseases.”
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.