"Rapid Increase in Confirmed Cases in China... Monitoring Quarantine Management Including Cold Medicine Supply"
Jokyuhong, 1st Deputy Head of Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters Opening Remarks
"Necessary Measures to Be Discussed and Announced After Friday"
Cho Kyu-hong, First Deputy Head of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters (Minister of Health and Welfare), is presiding over the COVID-19 Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters meeting held on the 28th at the Seoul Situation Center of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters in the Government Seoul Office Building. [Image source=Yonhap News]
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Lee Gwan-joo] As COVID-19 cases surge in China, the government is strengthening monitoring and plans to discuss related measures soon.
Cho Gyu-hong, First Deputy Head of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters (CDSCH) and Minister of Health and Welfare, stated in his opening remarks at the CDSCH meeting on the 28th, "Even if COVID-19 spreads in China, we will ensure that there are no issues with the supply of domestic goods such as cold medicine and quarantine management," emphasizing this commitment.
The government added China to the target countries for quarantine at Incheon Airport on the 16th of this month. For arrivals from China, if symptoms are present, testing is conducted on accompanying persons, and the fever threshold has been lowered from 37.5℃ to 37.3℃. Deputy Head Cho said, "We will discuss necessary quarantine measures at the CDSCH meeting on Friday and announce them thereafter."
According to the CDSCH, the infection reproduction number is 1.04, exceeding 1 for the 10th consecutive week, indicating the spread of the epidemic. The average daily confirmed cases last week were around 67,000, a 3.5% increase from the previous week, and there were 391 deaths, 94% of whom were aged 60 or older. Deputy Head Cho stated, "This means COVID-19 remains an infectious disease that requires caution, especially for vulnerable groups such as the elderly," adding, "This is why we must all remain vigilant until the epidemic subsides."
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "I'll Stop by Starbucks Tomorrow": People Power Chungbuk Committee and Geoje Mayoral Candidate Face Criticism for Alleged 5·18 Demeaning Remarks
- "To Get Revenge on Ex-Girlfriend" US McDonald's Manager Spits on French Fries
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
He also urged additional vaccinations during the winter season and adherence to quarantine guidelines. Deputy Head Cho said, "According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), groups who received an additional bivalent vaccine have up to a 56% lower risk of infection compared to those with only the basic vaccination," and requested, "Especially those aged 60 and above and those with underlying conditions should definitely participate in winter vaccinations and strictly follow quarantine measures such as wearing masks, washing hands, and regular ventilation."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.