US White House "Deep Concern Over North Korea's Continued Provocations"... UN Secretary-General Also Urges Dialogue
[Asia Economy New York=Special Correspondent Joselgina] The White House expressed deep concern on the 4th (local time) over North Korea's relentless provocations and emphasized the need for dialogue.
John Kirby, Coordinator for Strategic Communications at the White House National Security Council (NSC), stated at a briefing that day, "We are deeply concerned about the ongoing provocations by the North Korean regime, which occur almost daily." He condemned them as "absolutely unnecessary provocations," adding, "They are causing more anxiety and instability on the Korean Peninsula and in the region."
North Korea has continued provocations by firing dozens of missiles, including ICBMs, from the 28th of last month until the day before, ahead of the South Korea-U.S. joint air exercise 'Vigilant Storm.'
When asked whether North Korea's continued provocations are a show of force or a kind of tipping point, Kirby responded, "It is difficult to know exactly what Kim Jong-un is thinking in real time," adding, "We must take these provocations seriously, which is why we keep repeating our offer to meet with Kim Jong-un."
He also said, "We will continue to seek serious and sustained dialogue," adding, "North Korea continues to refuse. As attacks in the form of provocations against the security environment on the Korean Peninsula are increasing, we must ensure our defensive capabilities and readiness."
Furthermore, referring to the symbolic slogan of the U.S. Forces Korea, which means immediate combat readiness, 'Fight Tonight,' he said, "We take that seriously." He mentioned the recent trilateral military exercises among South Korea, the U.S., and Japan, confirming that they will continue as necessary.
Kirby also urged participation in the United Nations Security Council meeting held that day to discuss North Korea issues, saying, "We must join efforts to limit North Korea's ability to advance its illicit weapons programs."
On the same day, Ant?nio Guterres, the UN Secretary-General, ahead of the UN Security Council meeting, called on North Korea to "immediately halt any further provocative acts" in response to North Korea's successive ballistic missile launches.
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- [Breaking] Second Day of Samsung Electronics Post-Adjustment... Park Sookeun, Chairman of the Central Labor Relations Commission, Says "Settlement Still Possible"
- "If That's the Case, Why Not Just Buy Stocks?" ETFs in Name Only, Now 'Semiconductor-Heavy' and a Playground for Short-Term Traders
- "I Take Full Responsibility"... Chung Yongjin Issues Direct Apology for Starbucks 'May 18 Controversy' (Update)
- "No Cure Available, Spread Accelerates... Already 105 Dead, American Infected"
In a statement released through spokesperson St?phane Dujarric, Secretary-General Guterres said, "North Korea must fully comply with its international obligations under relevant Security Council resolutions," expressing "deep concern over the heightened tensions on the Korean Peninsula and worry about the increasing hostile rhetoric." He further urged North Korea to take immediate steps to resume dialogue and called on "all relevant parties to create an environment conducive to dialogue for the complete, verifiable denuclearization and sustainable peace on the Korean Peninsula."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.