Prolonged Fuel Strike in France... Government Intervenes to 'Mobilize Necessary Personnel'
[Asia Economy Reporter Park Byung-hee] As the fuel supply crisis caused by strikes from major oil company unions such as TotalEnergies in France and ExxonMobil in the United States continues for over three weeks, the government has stepped in.
French Prime Minister ?lisabeth Borne has ordered the conscription of necessary personnel to resolve the oil supply shortage, according to major foreign media reports on the 11th (local time). Prime Minister Borne appeared before the National Assembly that day and announced that she had ordered local government heads to conscript the necessary personnel for oil supply.
The unions of TotalEnergies and ExxonMobil subsidiaries went on strike from the 20th of last month demanding wage increases, and as a result, France is experiencing a fuel supply crisis.
TotalEnergies, France's largest oil company, operates about 3,500 gas stations nationwide, of which one-third are experiencing fuel shortages. In the capital Paris and northern regions of France, gas stations running out of fuel are appearing one after another.
The labor and management of ExxonMobil France reached an agreement the day before, but due to differing opinions among union groups, the strike resumed that day. Among the ExxonMobil unions, the Democratic Confederation of Labour (CFDT) and the Confederation of Management ? General Confederation of Executives (CFE-CGC) approved the agreement, but the General Confederation of Labour (CGT) and Workers' Force (FO) opposed it.
Prime Minister Borne stated that she cannot tolerate some ExxonMobil unions continuing the strike even after reaching an agreement with management and announced that she would order essential ExxonMobil personnel to return to work.
Borne said, "The strike needs to end immediately," adding, "Actions that block the entire nation cannot be tolerated." She also said, "The government wants the situation to change quickly," and "If necessary, additional measures will be taken." Borne indicated that similar conscription measures could be applied to TotalEnergies as well.
Olivier V?ran, government spokesperson, appeared on RTL Radio that morning and warned, "The strike is dragging on too long," and "If the blockade of gas stations is not lifted immediately, we may order the conscription of necessary personnel to normalize the situation."
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "You Might Regret Not Buying Now"... Overseas Retail Investors Stirred by News of Record-Breaking Monster Stocks' IPOs
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- National Participation Growth Fund Sales Begin on May 22... Up to 200 Million Won Per Person, 5-Year Redemption Restriction
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
Bruno Le Maire, Minister of Economy and Finance, also emphasized in an interview with Radio France, "The French people should not become collateral victims of the strike," and "A consensus must be reached within the next few hours."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.