[Exclusive] Mandatory Installation of 'Chasupan' in Seocho-gu Excluding Reconstruction Areas
"Reconstruction is not a new building subject to building permits"
Industry says "Regulations should be strengthened as reconstruction is active"
On the night of August 8, a road near Jinheung Apartment in Seocho-gu, Seoul, was flooded. [Image source=Yonhap News]
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Noh Kyung-jo] Seocho-gu, which is enforcing the 'mandatory installation of flood barriers' as a condition for new building permits, has been confirmed not to apply this to reconstruction complexes.
According to the maintenance industry on the 19th, the reconstruction design plan for Seocho Grand Xi, completed in June last year, did not include flood barriers. Although reconstruction involves demolishing existing buildings and rebuilding, similar to new construction, Seocho-gu distinguished between the two, so the design plan was not problematic.
Since experiencing severe flooding in 2011, Seocho-gu has mandated the installation of flood barriers as a measure to prevent building inundation. The targets for application were set as ▲ buildings requiring building permits under Article 11 of the Building Act that include basement floors ▲ public buildings commissioned by the district ▲ existing buildings with basements.
This guideline has been in effect since August 18 of that year and has been in place for 11 years. During this time, many reconstruction complexes such as Seocho Grand Xi, Raemian Leaders One, Raemian Seocho STG, and Banpo Raemian I-Park have been established in Seocho-gu. Seocho-gu currently has the highest number of reconstruction associations among Seoul’s 25 autonomous districts, with 47 associations (based on Seoul City maintenance project information).
However, because reconstruction is not subject to building permits, the installation of flood barriers has only been 'recommended.' Maintenance projects, including redevelopment, receive 'project implementation approval' rather than building permits during the process. Seocho-gu has left the installation of flood barriers at this stage to the discretion of construction companies and associations.
Flood barriers themselves can be installed anytime if residents feel the need, whether during design or afterward. The problem lies in the system. An industry insider said, "It may be difficult to handle record-breaking heavy rain with flood barriers alone," but added, "Flood barriers are a basic flood prevention measure. I don’t understand why the characteristics of Seocho-gu, where reconstruction projects are active, were not reflected in the guidelines."
Criticism also continues regarding management beyond the district level, including Seoul City and the central government. Seocho-gu is not a disaster prevention district under the National Land Planning Act (formerly a disaster management zone under the Building Act), but it is one of the natural disaster risk improvement districts designated by the Ministry of the Interior and Safety and is subject to related ordinances.
From January 2012 to December 2019, Seoul City conducted flood prevention projects in 34 flood-prone areas within its jurisdiction. The Gangnam Station area was designated as a special management area along with the Sadang Station and Hangang-ro areas, Sinwol area, and Dorimcheon area. Emergency measures in these areas included ▲ installation of temporary detention basins ▲ reinstallation of bridges obstructing water flow ▲ installation of road flood barriers ▲ expansion of rainwater inflow facilities.
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
- "Am I Really in the Top 30%?" and "Worried About My Girlfriend in the Bottom 70%"... Buzz Over High Oil Price Relief Fund
- "It Has Now Crossed Borders": No Vaccine or Treatment as Bundibugyo Ebola Variant Spreads [Reading Science]
Despite eight years of effort, human and property damage occurred. Seoul Mayor Oh Se-hoon decided to invest 3 trillion won over the next 10 years to prepare measures for frequently flooded areas. Another industry insider said, "Even if construction companies install ample drainage pumps within complexes, they cannot block all the overflowing water from the roads," and added, "I hope the government and local governments pay more attention to avoid confusion in determining responsibility."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.