Press conference raising allegations of violation of the Public Official Election Act. <br>[Photo by Minju Siminildong]

Press conference raising allegations of violation of the Public Official Election Act.
[Photo by Minju Siminildong]

View original image

[Asia Economy Yeongnam Reporting Headquarters Reporter Lee Seryeong] Hong Nampyo, a preliminary candidate for the Changwon mayoral election from the People Power Party, has been caught up in a controversy over election law violations.


The controversy originated from a statement made by candidate Hong during the People Power Party primary debate for the Changwon Special City mayoral election, hosted by KNN on the 18th of last month.


According to the video at the time, candidate Jang Donghwa, who participated in the primary, asked Hong, "When did you move to Changwon, and with whom and where do you live? Please answer," adding, "This is related to election law and there are various suspicions, so I hope you answer accurately."


Candidate Hong replied, "I established residence at the end of January 2022, and my wife and I live together," and added, "The housing type is jeonse or monthly rent."


"Since I just moved down, the mayoral election is very busy. Sometimes I go home, and sometimes I sleep elsewhere," he said.


On the 11th, the Changwon Special City Democratic Citizens held a press conference at the Changwon City Hall briefing room, claiming that candidate Hong Nampyo made false statements during the primary debate.


They are Changwon citizens who have worked in environmental activism or served as former teachers and city council members, emphasizing that according to their verification through reports, Hong’s move-in date to Changwon was at the end of February.


They added, "There have been reports criticizing parachute candidates coming down from Seoul who did not live in the area at all, claiming they would serve the region. In this atmosphere, it is suspicious whether he did not disclose his late move-in date promptly because he thought it would be disadvantageous to him."


They pointed out that if the suspicion is true, it would constitute false statement publication under Article 250 of the Public Official Election Act, which could invalidate the election even if he wins.


They also stated, "At the invited debate held at the Busan-Ulsan-Gyeongnam Media Center on April 19, he also said he moved in at the end of January."


They urged, "This is a serious matter that could unsettle 1.04 million citizens and undermine the stability of city administration in the important election to choose the 8th mayor of Changwon Special City. The People Power Party must immediately verify and disclose the facts to resolve the suspicions for the city and its citizens."


They also requested that if it is proven to be false, the candidate should be replaced immediately.



Candidate Hong is reported to have rebutted the suspicion, stating that the move-in date at the end of February is correct and that it was a simple mistake.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing