'Incheon Weapon Rampage' Prosecution Seeks 30-Year Prison Sentence for Suspect in His 40s
[Asia Economy Reporter Seomideum] A man in his 40s, the defendant in the 'Incheon Interfloor Noise Stabbing' case, has been sentenced to a heavy prison term.
On the 22nd, the prosecution requested a 30-year prison sentence for A (49), who was indicted on charges of attempted murder, at the sentencing hearing held by the 13th Criminal Division of the Incheon District Court (Presiding Judge Ho Seong-ho).
The prosecution stated, "The defendant's crime destroyed a harmonious family in an instant," adding, "One of the victims was in cardiac arrest for about a minute and then underwent surgery to remove part of the left skull due to brain edema."
They continued, "It is a miracle that the victim survived, but they must live their entire life with the intelligence of a one-year-old and unable to use half of their body," and "The victims are pleading for the harshest punishment for the defendant."
The prosecution further requested the court, saying, "The defendant denies basic facts despite clear evidence and shifts responsibility onto the victims," and "We ask the court to impose a severe sentence on the defendant."
In his final defense, A's lawyer said, "Although the defendant disputes some of the charges, he is remorseful and asks for forgiveness from the victims," adding, "Detailed arguments will be submitted later in writing."
In his final statement, A said, "I am truly sorry to the victims," and "I will live reflecting on my actions from now on."
A was arrested and indicted on charges of attempting to murder three family members, including a woman in her 40s, B, and her daughter in her 20s, by wielding a weapon on the third floor of a villa in Namdong-gu, Incheon, at around 5:05 p.m. on November 15 last year.
B was stabbed in the neck by the weapon wielded by A, lost consciousness, underwent surgery for cerebral infarction, and her husband and daughter also suffered injuries to their face and hands, receiving hospital diagnoses requiring 3 to 5 weeks of treatment.
A moved into the fourth floor of the villa 2 to 3 months before the incident and had conflicts with B's family living on the third floor over interfloor noise.
Two police officers who responded to the villa at the time were dismissed after it was revealed they responded inadequately. They either left the scene or failed to immediately restrain A despite knowing he wielded a weapon.
Hot Picks Today
"Only Two Per Person" Garbage Bag Crisis Was Just Yesterday... Japan Also Faces Shortage Anxiety
- "Samsung Electronics Employee with 100 Million Won Salary Receiving 600 Million Won Bonus... Estimated Tax Revealed"
- Lived as Family for Over 30 Years... Daughter-in-Law Cast Aside After Husband's Death
- 'Will Demand Finally Decline Due to High Prices?'... "I'll Just Enjoy Nearby Trips" as Japan and China See a Surge
- "Wore It Once, Then This? White Spots All Over 4.15 Million Won Prada Jacket... 'Full Refund Ordered'"
Meanwhile, A admitted in court to attempting to kill B but argued that the acts of wielding a weapon against her daughter and husband should be charged as special injury, not attempted murder.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.