Minister of Justice Park Beom-gye: "This is not a guideline for investigating Kim Geon-hee"... Press briefing with reporters
On the morning of the 29th, at the Ministry of Justice's 7th-floor conference room in the Government Gwacheon Complex, Minister of Justice Park Beom-gye is presenting policy achievements during a press briefing with reporters./Photo by Choi Seok-jin
View original image[Asia Economy Choi Seok-jin, Legal Affairs Specialist Reporter] On the 29th, Park Beom-gye, Minister of Justice, stated regarding his recent remarks about Kim Gun-hee, wife of Yoon Seok-yeol, the People Power Party’s presidential candidate, that “I did not present any investigation guidelines.”
Minister Park made these remarks during a press briefing held from 10 a.m. at the Ministry of Justice’s 7th-floor main conference room in the Government Complex Gwacheon.
When asked, “How do you receive reports from the Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office regarding the Kim Gun-hee case related to the presidential candidate’s family?” Park replied, “The former minister excluded the prosecution chief’s investigative command, so I am not receiving direct reports.”
In response to the question, “Why has the exclusion of the prosecution chief’s command, which was implemented during Minister Choo Mi-ae’s tenure, not yet been restored?” he said, “I once answered that the prosecution chief’s judgment should be received when drawing conclusions,” but added, “At this stage, we are considering restoring the investigative command, but I cannot provide a conclusion.”
Regarding a question about his recent remarks on the Deutsche Motors case investigation, Minister Park said, “Please take it as it is,” and added, “I did not present any investigation guidelines.”
Minister Park further stated, “After Sunday and Monday passed with no comment, a specific media outlet reported on it. I understand the investigation is ongoing, but the report made it seem as if a conclusion had been reached, and the political circles speaking based on that seem to be misunderstanding.”
On the 26th, in an interview with a media outlet, he sparked controversy by saying, “That person (Kim) is a financier who has participated with a considerable amount of money,” and “I believe the prosecution should reach a conclusion that is appropriate to the public’s suspicions.”
Regarding questions about the recent controversy over the Corruption Investigation Office for High-ranking Officials (CIO) and the calls for its abolition, he said, “There is room for involvement in budget-related consultations or ministerial opinions on amendments to the CIO Act, but it is difficult to comment on investigation issues or the question of its existence,” and added, “If there is any part where we can support or if they want support for the investigative know-how accumulated by the prosecution, we will actively consider dispatching investigative personnel to the CIO.”
Minister Park also stated, “We will completely nullify the current regulations based on the Supreme Prosecutors’ Office’s Investigation Information Coordination Office and create new regulations,” adding, “The core is to separate collection and verification. Ultimately, we will clearly establish the responsibility for collecting and verifying information used in investigations.”
Regarding questions about discussions on introducing a special prosecutor for the Daejang-dong development lobbying and preferential treatment allegations, he said, “The investigation is currently underway, and as the minister with supervisory authority, I must observe the investigation results and will do so.”
He continued, “The perspectives on a standing special prosecutor seem to differ between the ruling and opposition parties,” and said, “Since the presidential election is approaching, I will refrain from commenting on various noises that might arise from my views on the special prosecutor.”
In an earlier interview with KBS, regarding Yoo Han-gi, former head of the Seongnam Urban Development Corporation’s Development Project Headquarters, and Kim Moon-gi, head of Development Division 1, who were found dead after undergoing investigation, he said, “I do not think there was harsh treatment or special coercion, but there is regret that human rights were not sufficiently protected throughout the investigation and investigation procedures.”
Regarding criticism that the prosecution team’s investigative momentum has declined, he said, “The prosecution’s will and ability to investigate the preferential treatment aspects in the Daejang-dong project design process were by no means lacking,” but added, “However, regarding lobbying allegations, the arrest warrant request for former lawmaker Kwak Sang-do was dismissed, which significantly dampened the investigation, and I think that is a future challenge.”
On questions about the recent special pardon, he said, “Pardons are entirely the exclusive authority of the head of state, the president,” and refrained from further comment. However, he expressed his thoughts, saying, “At least regarding pardons for former presidents, I believe the president intended to handle the matter from the perspective of future national unity, overcoming a dark past, and acted accordingly.”
When asked about plans for the next prosecution personnel appointments, he began, “Appointments for new prosecutors and regular prosecutors are made every February according to regulations, but I think you are curious whether appointments for senior prosecutors (at the level of chief prosecutors or above) will be made beforehand.”
He continued, “Currently, there are two vacant chief prosecutor-level positions at the Gwangju High Prosecutors’ Office and Daejeon High Prosecutors’ Office deputy chief positions, and I want to make promotion appointments,” adding, “I also need to ask the president, who holds the final appointment authority, and I want to select prosecutors with expertise related to serious accident cases.”
Regarding criticism that the handling of Prosecutor General Han Dong-hoon related to the Channel A case is being delayed, he said, “The minister can only give specific investigative commands through the prosecution chief, so I am not receiving complete information reports related to this case where the prosecution chief’s command has been excluded,” but added, “I will ask for the prosecution chief’s opinion in depth and review it.”
When asked whether delaying the non-prosecution decision due to forensic analysis of Prosecutor Han’s mobile phone violates the principle of legality or presumption of innocence, Minister Park said, “It seems like a question about whether the prosecution is abusing its investigative authority,” and added, “This case is one where the values pursued by criminal procedure law, such as discovering substantive truth and complying with due process, are intertwined.”
He continued, “I cannot specify what equipment is being used or how the process is proceeding, but I understand the forensic analysis of the mobile phone is ongoing.”
Regarding the controversy over the ‘report omission’ by Han Dong-soo, head of the Supreme Prosecutors’ Office Inspection Department, Minister Park said, “The core issue is not who viewed the indictment but that the indictment viewed was leaked,” and added, “I have not received the final report related to that. The (edited) file reported in the media is known to be inaccurate.”
The briefing was held simultaneously offline and online (via video conference) considering the COVID-19 situation.
Before the main Q&A session, a video showing Minister Park’s field visits over the past year was screened, followed by a presentation (PPT) by Minister Park himself on policy achievements to date.
Minister Park said, “Since taking office on February 1 this year, I have traveled 14,708 km over 112 field visits,” and expressed, “I sincerely thank everyone who has shown interest.”
In fact, during the 10 months since his inauguration, Minister Park visited more than 100 institutions nationwide, including 19 prosecution offices, 12 correctional facilities, and 33 immigration offices.
Minister Park also recalled his past experience of personally drafting a report related to the reorganization of the Ministry of Justice’s Legal Affairs Office.
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Don't Throw Away Coffee Grounds" Transformed into 'High-Grade Fuel' in Just 90 Seconds [Reading Science]
- "Why This Bonus Grade?" Civil Servant Who Assaulted HR Employee... Court Rules Demotion Is Justified
- "Groups of 5 or More Now Restricted"... Unrelenting Running Craze Leaves Citizens and Police Exhausted
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
He said, “I remember creating a report on ‘de-prosecution of the Ministry of Justice’ at the Roh Moo-hyun presidential transition committee in 2003, submitting it to the president-elect, and reporting it to then-designated Senior Secretary for Civil Affairs Moon Jae-in.”
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.