Blunt Weapon Attack by a Man in His 20s
Public Anger Has Grown Since His Release Last Year
YouTubers Claiming "Retribution" Also Emerge

Child sex offender Jo Doo-soon, who was released after serving his sentence, is seen leaving the Ansan Probation Center of the Ministry of Justice in Ansan, Gyeonggi Province, on the morning of December 12 last year. / Photo by Yonhap News

Child sex offender Jo Doo-soon, who was released after serving his sentence, is seen leaving the Ansan Probation Center of the Ministry of Justice in Ansan, Gyeonggi Province, on the morning of December 12 last year. / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Lim Ju-hyung] Jo Doo-soon, who was convicted of child sexual assault and served 12 years in prison before being released, was attacked. A man in his 20s impersonating a police officer broke into his home and swung a blunt weapon. Since Jo Doo-soon returned home after his release last year, he has sparked public outrage. YouTubers have followed him around, and some people have appeared threatening to "punish" him.


According to the Ansan Danwon Police Station in Gyeonggi Province on the 16th, at around 8:50 p.m., a man in his 20s identified as Mr. A broke into Jo Doo-soon's home and struck his head with a blunt weapon. Police who responded to a report from Jo Doo-soon's wife arrested Mr. A on the spot for special assault. Jo Doo-soon, who sustained a head injury, was immediately taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.


Police investigation revealed that Mr. A impersonated a police officer to enter Jo Doo-soon's house and wielded the blunt weapon. It is reported that Mr. A committed this act out of anger over Jo Doo-soon's sex crimes.


Mr. A had a prior record from February of this year when he attempted to break into Jo Doo-soon's home armed with a weapon, claiming he wanted to punish Jo Doo-soon. He works at a logistics center and stated at the time, "Life has no meaning. I must punish Jo Doo-soon for my life to have value."


Controversy Continues Since Release... Victim's Father: "My Child Broke Down Crying After 12 Years" in Anger


In December 2008, Jo Doo-soon was tried for kidnapping an elementary school student in front of a church in Danwon-gu, Ansan, and brutally sexually assaulting the child, causing permanent disability. He was sentenced to 12 years in prison and was released on December 13 last year after serving his full term.


A citizen causing a disturbance on the roof of the official vehicle carrying Jo Doo-soon. / Photo by Yonhap News

A citizen causing a disturbance on the roof of the official vehicle carrying Jo Doo-soon. / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


At the time, he expressed his intention to return to Ansan, where he originally lived, and live quietly without causing trouble after his release. However, once this became known, controversy erupted among citizens. Especially the victim's family expressed that the victim was anxious and announced plans to leave Ansan to avoid Jo Doo-soon.


The victim's father, Mr. B, appeared on JTBC's "Newsroom" interview and said, "When we heard that Jo Doo-soon was coming back, our child broke down crying after 12 years," and angrily added, "If he truly repents and is sane, would he dare say he is coming near the victim?"


He also said, "As parents who couldn't protect our child, we have nothing to say. We are sorry," and announced their decision to move.


YouTubers Conduct 'Mukbang' in Front of His House, Voices Calling for 'Punishment' Also Emerge


There was also a commotion on December 12 last year, when Jo Doo-soon was released from prison. At that time, Jo Doo-soon boarded a van at the Southern Seoul Detention Center in Guro-gu, Seoul, heading to Ansan. Some YouTubers who heard about his release held a rally in front of the detention center.


Some of them shouted at the van carrying Jo Doo-soon, ran toward the vehicle despite police attempts to stop them, and even climbed onto the van's roof causing a disturbance.


YouTubers competing in broadcasting near the residential area where Jo Doo-soon lives in Ansan, Gyeonggi Province, on December 13 last year. / Photo by Yonhap News

YouTubers competing in broadcasting near the residential area where Jo Doo-soon lives in Ansan, Gyeonggi Province, on December 13 last year. / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


The commotion continued to the residential area in Ansan where Jo Doo-soon was staying. YouTubers gathered in the neighborhood alleys to film videos, and some even conducted a so-called "Jo Doo-soon house-front mukbang," ordering and eating jajangmyeon (black bean noodles) in front of his house.


There were also people who appeared claiming they would punish Jo Doo-soon. On an online community, a user appeared saying, "I will punish Jo Doo-soon and go to jail," which received explosive support.


In October last year, a mixed martial arts fighter responded to a question on his YouTube broadcast asking, "Are you going to find Jo Doo-soon?" by saying, "Of course. Absolutely."



Meanwhile, Jo Doo-soon is currently under one-on-one probation supervision and 24-hour location tracking by the Ansan Probation Office. Additionally, two guard posts have been installed in the alley where Jo Doo-soon's house is located for close monitoring.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing