Government: "Extraordinary measures possible next week... Efforts to avoid lockdown"
On the 10th, as 7,022 new COVID-19 cases were reported, marking the third consecutive day with over 7,000 cases, citizens visiting the temporary screening clinic set up at Seogang University Station Plaza in Mapo-gu, Seoul, are waiting to get tested. Photo by Jinhyung Kang aymsdream@
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Seo So-jeong] The government has indicated that if the COVID-19 outbreak does not subside, it may announce "drastic measures" next week, including restrictions on the size of private gatherings and operating hours of multi-use facilities.
Lee Gi-il, the 1st Controller of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters, said at a regular briefing on the 10th, "The number of new confirmed cases is currently in the 7,000 range," adding, "If the spread does not decline further and continues to increase, there is a possibility of an announcement next week."
The controller stated, "The government announced special additional measures last Friday and hopes that the results will help ease the outbreak," and added, "If the current outbreak does not subside and continues, we will consider additional quarantine measures."
However, he added, "Decisions will be made weekly and in stages through evaluations by the emergency committee, considering various factors rather than specific criteria such as confirmed cases or severe cases."
Regarding specific measures, the controller said, "We plan to review restrictions on operating hours and private gatherings," explaining, "During the third wave, the strongest measures were the ban on private gatherings of five or more people and the 9 PM operating restriction."
Hot Picks Today
"Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
The controller said, "For now, we will do our best to expand hospital beds with the measures previously implemented, such as the expansion of the vaccine pass," and added, "We will make every effort to avoid a lockdown."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.