Court: "Anbosil and Coast Guard must disclose information to families of North Korean attacked public official"... Ministry of National Defense excluded
[Asia Economy Reporter Kim Hyung-min] A court ruling has ordered the National Security Office and the Korea Coast Guard to disclose information related to the incident last September in the West Sea, where a Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries official was killed by North Korean gunfire.
The Seoul Administrative Court, Administrative Division 11 (Presiding Judge Kang Woo-chan), on the 12th, partially ruled in favor of the plaintiff, Lee Rae-jin, the brother of the slain official, in his information disclosure lawsuit against the National Security Office Director and the Korea Coast Guard Commissioner.
The court explained, "The National Security Office shall disclose the requested information except for some parts by allowing inspection, and the Korea Coast Guard shall disclose the remaining parts excluding personal information," adding, "This mostly aligns with the plaintiff's claims."
However, the court dismissed or rejected Lee’s information disclosure request against the Minister of National Defense for the North Korean military conversation interception recordings. It appears the court accepted the Ministry of National Defense’s argument that the requested information is not subject to disclosure.
The bereaved family of the deceased Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries official expressed regret over the first trial result.
Lee Rae-jin (56), the brother of the slain official, and his legal representative held a press conference in front of the Seoul Administrative Court, stating, "Although it was expected, it is pathetic."
Regarding the ruling, Lee said, "It took over a year to reach this verdict, and it is truly pathetic and incompetent government," adding, "They ask us to believe the communication records they speak of to cover themselves, but we cannot trust them at all."
Lee’s legal representative, Attorney Kim Ki-yoon, said, "As a result of the ruling, it has become possible to know what reports the National Security Office received from the Ministry of National Defense and the Coast Guard and what instructions were given," adding, "This means we can understand what the government did for the rescue."
He also expressed "deep regret" over the dismissal and rejection of the information disclosure request filed against the Ministry of National Defense.
Lee said, "I will review the verdict and decide whether to appeal," and added, "I want to ask presidential candidates from both ruling and opposition parties how they will handle this issue."
He also mentioned, "Some candidates have already promised active support," and "I plan to meet with them soon to discuss concrete plans moving forward."
Meanwhile, Lee’s younger brother, a crew member of the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries’ fishery guidance vessel, went missing on September 21 last year while performing duties on the vessel and was killed by North Korean forces at sea the following day.
On October 6 last year, Lee requested information disclosure from the Ministry of National Defense regarding the North Korean military conversation interception recordings and other video files but was denied on the grounds that "the information is not subject to the Information Disclosure Act and is classified under the Military Secrets Protection Act."
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "No Cure Available, Spread Accelerates... Already 105 Dead, American Infected"
- [Breaking] President Lee: "South Korea and Japan to Respond Jointly to Middle East Situation, Agree on Close Cooperation for Supply Chains and Energy"
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
Additionally, on October 14, Lee requested the Korea Coast Guard to show the testimony statements of nine colleagues who were on the fishery guidance vessel "Mugunghwa 10" with the slain official, and on October 28, he requested the Blue House to disclose reports and instructions received on the day of the incident, but these requests were not accepted.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.