"2,000 Cases Confirmed Two Days in a Row, 4th Wave Ongoing"
"Even with High Vaccination Rates, Stable Quarantine Is Needed for Daily Life Recovery"

Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum (far right) converses with attendees before presiding over the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters meeting on COVID-19 response at the Government Complex Sejong on the morning of the 10th. (Photo by Yonhap News)

Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum (far right) converses with attendees before presiding over the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters meeting on COVID-19 response at the Government Complex Sejong on the morning of the 10th. (Photo by Yonhap News)

View original image


[Sejong=Asia Economy Reporter Moon Chaeseok] Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum clarified on the 10th that the recent adjustment of quarantine standards does not mean a relaxation of measures, countering claims that it marks the start of 'With Corona.'


During his opening remarks at the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters meeting on COVID-19 held at the Government Complex Sejong that morning, Prime Minister Kim said, "Last week, the government adjusted some quarantine standards mainly for those who have completed vaccination," adding, "Some interpret this as a message of 'quarantine relaxation' and claim that the government is starting 'With Corona.'"


He explained, "The fourth wave is still ongoing, with daily confirmed cases exceeding 2,000 for two consecutive days this week," and added, "No matter how high the vaccination rate becomes, if the quarantine situation does not stabilize, the recovery of daily life that we all earnestly desire will inevitably be delayed."


He continued, "The government prepared this quarantine measure considering the vaccination rate, the hardships of self-employed workers, and even the feelings of citizens who refrained from visiting their hometowns twice, but this does not mean a relaxation of quarantine," emphasizing, "Especially during the Chuseok holiday, when movement inevitably increases, if the gaps in quarantine widen due to relaxed vigilance, the crisis situation could worsen."


Prime Minister Kim stated, "The government plans to additionally install and operate temporary screening clinics at historical sites and terminals during this holiday," and explained, "Health center screening clinics nationwide will operate normally, and emergency medical institutions will maintain a 24-hour treatment system. Call centers will also operate continuously to respond to citizens' inconveniences or questions."



He said, "As of yesterday, 62.6% of the entire population has completed the first dose, and based on the population aged 18 and over, the rate already exceeded 70% last Tuesday," adding, "With the active participation of the public, the government's goal of '70% of the population completing the first dose before Chuseok' is expected to be achieved without any problems."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing