US Evacuates 100,000 People from Afghanistan Since Taliban Takeover
[Asia Economy Reporter Kwon Jae-hee] In Afghanistan, which is controlled by the Islamic militant group Taliban, it has been revealed that the United States has evacuated more than 100,000 people so far.
On the 26th (local time), the White House announced regarding the evacuation of its citizens and local collaborators from Afghanistan, "Since August 14, the United States has evacuated approximately 101,000 people."
August 14 is one day before the Taliban captured Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan, and declared victory.
The White House also explained that about 7,500 people were evacuated from Kabul within 12 hours on that day, with 14 U.S. military aircraft and 39 allied aircraft deployed for the operation.
On the same day, a suicide bombing near Kabul airport killed about 90 people, including 13 U.S. soldiers. U.S. President Joe Biden stated that the operation to evacuate Americans and local helpers and withdraw U.S. troops will proceed as planned.
Hot Picks Today
"You Might Regret Not Buying Now"... Overseas Retail Investors Stirred by News of Record-Breaking Monster Stocks' IPOs
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- Mistaken for the Flu, Left Untreated... Death Toll Surges as WHO Declares Emergency (Comprehensive)
- Takaichi Says, "I Was Debating Drinking Due to Parliament Schedule"... President Lee Jokes, "Should I Make a Call?"
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
However, White House spokesperson Jen Psaki said that it will be impossible to evacuate all Afghans who wish to leave by the deadline of August 31 set for the Afghanistan evacuation.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.