TBS 'Let's Unite' Campaign Bias Controversy... Hong Nam-ki Asks, "Is Subway Line 1 Also a Problem?"
Conflict Between Assemblywoman Heo Eun-ah and the Government at the National Assembly Q&A
Deputy Prime Minister Hong: "Respecting the Election Commission's Judgment on the Biased Campaign Controversy"
Hong Nam-ki, Acting Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister for Economic Affairs, is responding during the government questioning session on politics, diplomacy, unification, and security held at the National Assembly plenary session in Yeouido, Seoul on the 19th. / Photo by Yonhap News
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Lim Juhyung] Hong Nam-ki, Acting Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister for Economic Affairs, responded to the opposition party's claim that the National Election Commission (NEC) managed election campaigns with bias during the April 7 by-elections by saying, "I respect the NEC's judgment." Hong also retorted to the claim that TBS's 'Let's Do 1' campaign reminded people of the ruling party's candidate number '1' by asking, "Is the subway exit number 1 also a problem?"
On the 19th, Hong clashed with Heo Eun-ah, a member of the People Power Party, during a National Assembly government questioning session on politics, diplomacy, unification, and security. When Heo questioned the NEC's alleged partiality during the recent by-elections, Hong said, "I am not in a position to answer," adding, "If I must, I think we should respect the NEC's judgment and its independent authority."
Heo also claimed that the NEC showed bias during the controversy over TBS's 'Let's Do 1' campaign. She pointed out that although TBS used blue tones reminiscent of the Democratic Party and continuously emphasized the election number '1,' which is the Democratic Party's candidate number, the NEC ruled there was no problem.
In response, Hong said, "There are subway exits numbered 1 to 8. Taking a photo of exit number 1 and asking 'what does this remind you of?' is no different," countering the claim.
'Let's Do 1' was a campaign launched by TBS on November 16 last year to celebrate reaching 1 million subscribers on its official YouTube channel. The promotional video featured TBS program hosts such as Lee Eun-mi, Joo Jin-woo, Tae, Choi Il-gu, Kim Gyu-ri, and Kim Eo-jun, repeatedly saying phrases like "Let's do 1" and "We have to do 1" to encourage YouTube subscriptions.
However, some netizens who watched the video raised suspicions that it was an early election campaign in preparation for the April Seoul and Busan mayoral by-elections. They argued that the number '1' displayed in mint color reminded them of the Democratic Party's blue color and candidate number 1.
At the time, the opposition party also protested, claiming that TBS's campaign was biased.
Kim Geun-sik, professor at Gyeongnam National University and head of the People Power Party's Songpa-byeong district in Seoul, criticized on his Facebook, "This is why TBS should no longer receive any support from Seoul City. Therefore, TBS should not hesitate to be dismantled."
He added, "A publicly funded broadcaster blatantly acting as a mouthpiece for the ruling party and shamelessly conducting pre-election campaigning."
Partial statement from TBS regarding the controversy over the 'Let's Do 1' campaign. / Photo by Seoul Metropolitan Government website
View original imageAmid growing controversy, TBS issued a statement on January 4 clarifying that the campaign was not supporting any specific political party but decided to suspend the campaign to avoid misunderstandings.
In the statement, TBS said, "There is no reason to conduct a campaign supporting a specific political party," and explained, "The color used in '+Let's Do 1' is mint, TBS's symbolic color, and unrelated to any political party's symbolic color."
They also stated, "'#Let's Do 1' and '+Let's Do 1' have been used interchangeably, and the campaign was intended to mean that if citizens add one subscription, TBS can perform better. The catchphrase plays on the homonym of 'work' and the number 1." They added, "The campaign was originally scheduled to run until the third week of December last year but was extended due to the surge in COVID-19 cases in late November and December."
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Don't Throw Away Coffee Grounds" Transformed into 'High-Grade Fuel' in Just 90 Seconds [Reading Science]
- "Why This Bonus Grade?" Civil Servant Who Assaulted HR Employee... Court Rules Demotion Is Justified
- "Groups of 5 or More Now Restricted"... Unrelenting Running Craze Leaves Citizens and Police Exhausted
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
They concluded, "In response to some concerns that the campaign could cause unnecessary misunderstandings ahead of the by-elections, we are suspending the '+Let's Do 1' campaign as of today."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.