Biden Says "Difficult to Meet May 1 Deadline for Afghan Withdrawal"... Emphasizes Maintaining Withdrawal Policy
"It is hard to imagine staying stationed until next year"
Considering domestic withdrawal sentiment, prospects for a 6-month extension of deployment grow stronger
[Asia Economy Reporter Hyunwoo Lee] U.S. President Joe Biden stated that it would be difficult to meet the previously announced May 1 deadline for the withdrawal of U.S. troops stationed in Afghanistan, but emphasized that troops would not remain stationed there until next year. This is interpreted as a hint at a six-month extension of the deployment, which has been raised both domestically and internationally. Earlier, the Biden administration had suggested considering an extension of the deployment to strengthen the alliance with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), but given the strong domestic public opinion for withdrawal, a long-term extension was expected to be difficult.
According to foreign media such as CNN, on the 25th (local time), President Biden said at his first official press conference since taking office regarding the Afghanistan withdrawal issue, "It will be difficult to meet the May 1 withdrawal deadline." However, he emphasized, "We will not stay much longer, and I cannot imagine U.S. troops being stationed there next year." CNN reported that this statement is being analyzed as a hint at the six-month extension plan emerging within the Biden administration.
Previously, the former Donald Trump administration signed a peace agreement with the Afghan armed group Taliban last year, promising that U.S. and international coalition forces would withdraw by May 1. This has led to growing controversy domestically and internationally over whether to extend the withdrawal deadline. In particular, NATO’s major European member countries and NATO itself refused the withdrawal and requested an extension of the U.S. troop deployment, leading to dominant speculation that the Biden administration, which had pledged to restore the Atlantic alliance, would extend the withdrawal deadline.
However, within the U.S., there is a prevailing public fatigue over the Afghanistan war, which has lasted 20 years since 2001, and increased defense spending burdens due to the COVID-19 pandemic, resulting in dominant public opinion favoring early withdrawal. Accordingly, the Biden administration is reportedly considering a compromise plan of a "six-month deployment extension."
Hot Picks Today
"It Has Now Crossed Borders": No Vaccine or Treatment as Bundibugyo Ebola Variant Spreads [Reading Science]
- "Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
- "Am I Really in the Top 30%?" and "Worried About My Girlfriend in the Bottom 70%"... Buzz Over High Oil Price Relief Fund
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
The U.S. State Department is also reportedly coordinating with NATO allies regarding this deployment extension plan. According to the U.S. political media outlet Politico, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken attended a NATO foreign ministers' meeting held in Brussels, Belgium, on the 23rd and indicated the intention to extend the deployment by stating, "International coalition forces, including U.S. troops, will leave together at the appropriate time."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.