Japan Fisheries Agency reports no confirmed damage
Investigating whether it is a new type of missile
North Korea and China have not issued official responses

▲Yoshihide Suga, Prime Minister of Japan [Image source=AP Yonhap News]

▲Yoshihide Suga, Prime Minister of Japan [Image source=AP Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Kwon Jae-hee] The Japanese government announced on the morning of the 25th that North Korea fired two ballistic missiles. Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga told reporters at the Prime Minister's Office that the missiles appeared to have fallen into the Sea of Japan outside Japan's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).


This is the first ballistic missile launch by North Korea since March 29 of last year.


According to the Nihon Keizai Shimbun on the 25th, the Japanese government announced that North Korea fired one ballistic missile each before 7:00 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. The flight distance was about 450 km for both, and it was observed that they were launched from the South Hamgyong Province area in eastern North Korea into the Sea of Japan.


Prime Minister Suga said, "The launched missiles are ballistic missiles, which threaten the peace of the region including Japan," and added, "This violates United Nations Security Council resolutions, and we will lodge a stern protest."


Prime Minister Suga instructed related ministries to collect and analyze information to provide prompt information to the public, ensure the safety of aircraft and ships, and prepare for any emergency. Afterwards, he held a National Security Council (NSC) meeting at the Prime Minister's Office to discuss response measures.


Japanese Defense Minister Nobuo Kishi stated, "The missiles flew at an altitude below 100 km, lower than the ballistic missiles Skud that North Korea previously possessed." It has not been confirmed whether these are new types of missiles.


The Japan Fisheries Agency reported that there is no impact on Japanese fishing vessels. They are checking on the safety of fishing boats via radio stations in preparation for any emergency, and no damage reports have been received so far.


The Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs protested to North Korea through diplomatic channels in Beijing. Subsequently, the Ministry confirmed mutual agreement to closely cooperate by sharing the latest information with Sung Kim, Acting Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs at the U.S. Department of State, regarding North Korea issues.


Meanwhile, North Korea's state broadcaster, Korean Central Broadcasting Station, has reportedly not conveyed any information about the ballistic missile launches so far.



China's state-run Xinhua News Agency, citing South Korean media, reported breaking news that "North Korea launched flying objects toward the East Sea." The Chinese government has not yet issued an official response.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing