Justice Party Establishes By-election Task Force... Discussing All Possibilities Including No Candidacy
[Asia Economy Reporter Oh Ju-yeon] The Justice Party, which is managing the aftermath of the party leader's sexual harassment incident, has established a task force (TF) to respond to the upcoming April by-elections. The party plans to keep all options open, including not nominating candidates.
A Justice Party official said on the 27th, "Currently, election campaigning is tentatively suspended," adding, "We will form a TF to respond to the by-elections with all options open, including the possibility of no nominations." Regarding the speculation that the party is likely to refrain from nominating candidates, the official stated, "It is not certain that 'no nomination' is the leading option; since the TF has just been formed, discussions will begin from today."
Kang Eun-mi, co-leader of the Justice Party, is delivering opening remarks at the 1st Emergency Measures Meeting held at the National Assembly on the 27th. Photo by Yoon Dong-joo doso7@
View original imageAt the first emergency countermeasure meeting held that day, it was decided to form the 'Gender Equality Organizational Culture Improvement TF' and the 'April 7 By-election TF.'
The Gender Equality Organizational Culture Improvement TF is tasked with comprehensively reviewing the organizational culture related to gender equality and preparing measures to prevent recurrence, aiming to establish a gender-equal system. It is composed of Vice Presidents Bae Bok-ju and Kim Eung-ho, and Kang Min-jin, Chairperson of the Youth Justice Party Preparatory Committee.
The April 7 By-election TF will prepare response plans for the Seoul and Busan by-elections. It consists of National Assembly members Bae Jin-gyo, Lee Eun-joo, Ryu Ho-jeong, and Vice President Park In-sook.
Since the Seoul and Busan by-elections are being held following the resignations of former Seoul Mayor Park Won-soon and former Busan Mayor Oh Keo-don due to sexual misconduct scandals, the Justice Party, which must manage the party leader's sexual harassment issue, faces increased election burdens. Kwon Soo-jung, the Justice Party's preliminary candidate for Seoul mayor, previously stated on Facebook, "I will participate in the party's discussions and decisions."
Hot Picks Today
"Could I Also Receive 370 Billion Won?"... No Limit on 'Stock Manipulation Whistleblower Rewards' Starting the 26th
- Samsung Electronics Labor-Management Reach Agreement, General Strike Postponed... "Deficit-Business Unit Allocation Deferred for One Year"
- Mother Sent to Prosecution in Custody for Killing Newborn After Giving Birth in Motel
- "From a 70 Million Won Loss to a 350 Million Won Profit with Samsung and SK hynix"... 'Stock Jackpot' Grandfather Gains Attention
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
Meanwhile, the Justice Party decided to establish and operate an emergency countermeasure meeting composed of the parliamentary group and the leadership team to responsibly manage the sexual harassment incident involving former leader Kim. The emergency countermeasure meeting will operate until the next party leader is elected, with Floor Leader Kang Eun-mi and Acting Party Leader Kim Yoon-gi serving as co-chairs. The meeting will be held daily to focus on discussing measures to resolve the situation. On the day, Floor Leader Kang Eun-mi said, "We promise the public that we will implement thorough follow-up measures based on a zero-tolerance principle."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.