Minister of Justice Choo Mi-ae attended the National Assembly Judiciary Committee's audit of the Ministry of Justice on the 12th and received a report from Ministry of Justice officials. Photo by Dongju Yoon doso7@

Minister of Justice Choo Mi-ae attended the National Assembly Judiciary Committee's audit of the Ministry of Justice on the 12th and received a report from Ministry of Justice officials. Photo by Dongju Yoon doso7@

View original image

[Asia Economy Reporter Lee Jung-yoon] The side of duty soldier Hyun Mo, who reported allegations of 'special leave' during the military service of Minister of Justice Choo Mi-ae's son, Seo Mo, has filed a complaint with the prosecution against Minister Choo and Seo's lawyers.


On the afternoon of the 12th, Hyun and Kim Young-soo, director of the Defense Rights Research Institute (former defense investigator at the Anti-Corruption and Civil Rights Commission), who represents Hyun's position, filed a complaint with the Seoul Eastern District Prosecutors' Office against Minister Choo and Seo's lawyers for defamation by false facts.


Director Kim said, "The facts have all been confirmed, and it is common sense to acknowledge and apologize for them," adding, "If Minister Choo or the lawyers admit the facts and apologize even now, we will immediately withdraw the complaint."


Hyun has claimed that he was on duty as a duty soldier on June 25, 2017, the date when allegations of Seo's failure to return from leave were raised, and that he spoke with Seo about the return issue. He reported the special leave allegations, saying that after the call, a captain came and instructed him to correct Seo's status as a leave taker.


In response, on the 2nd of last month, Seo's legal team issued a statement saying, "On Sunday the 25th, when Mr. A claims to have been on duty, Seo's leave had already been processed, so there was no reason to speak with the duty soldier," and "All situations described by Mr. A are false."


In rebuttal to Seo's lawyers, Director Kim also disclosed a phone conversation with the public relations officer of the Seoul Eastern District Prosecutors' Office on the 6th of this month. According to the recording, when Kim protested the claim by Seo's lawyer that "(on June 25, 2017) Hyun did not speak with Seo," the public relations officer replied, "After being asked repeatedly and checking with the investigation team, Seo also admitted (the call) during the prosecution investigation. The fact is correct."


Regarding the reason for submitting the complaint to the Eastern District Prosecutors' Office, Director Kim said, "I do not trust the Eastern District Prosecutors' Office for now," but added, "The police also considered it, but I thought the Eastern District Prosecutors' Office could make a decision quickly. There was no other choice."



Director Kim also said he plans to file complaints against about 800 netizens who used insulting expressions toward Hyun. He explained, "We are collecting materials on insults and defamation charges, just like with Minister Choo and Seo's lawyers," and added, "If Minister Choo and the lawyers admit and apologize, we will not file complaints on this matter either."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing