Cheongwadae Responds to Public Petition on 'Strict Punishment for Dating Violence' and 'Non-Prosecution of Daughter's Sexual Assault'... "893 Criminal Cases of Dating Violence in July, Focus on Victim Protection"

[Asia Economy Reporter Ryu Jeong-min] The Blue House stated that it is difficult to comment on the national petition regarding the case where the daughter witnessed a sexual violence incident but the case was dismissed without prosecution, as the case has already gone through the court's reconsideration request process.


On the 12th, Kang Jeong-su, head of the Digital Communication Center, explained in response to the national petition, "(The petitioner) stated that they witnessed their child's sexual violence incident and reported it, but due to the police's inadequate investigation, the result was a dismissal without prosecution. They filed an objection but were refused for over a year, requesting that the police and prosecutors' inadequate investigations be revealed and disciplinary actions be taken. This petition was supported by 286,148 citizens."


Kang said, "The police sent a non-prosecution opinion to the prosecution after investigation. Afterwards, the petitioner submitted a complaint to the prosecution, and under the prosecution's direction, the investigation was conducted again, but the police again sent a non-prosecution opinion, and the prosecution also made a final non-prosecution decision," adding, "An appeal to the High Prosecutors' Office was dismissed. The reconsideration request to the High Court to determine the appropriateness of the non-prosecution decision was also dismissed."


The view of Cheongwadae from Namsan, Seoul on the 11th. Photo by Hyunmin Kim kimhyun81@

The view of Cheongwadae from Namsan, Seoul on the 11th. Photo by Hyunmin Kim kimhyun81@

View original image


Kang added, "Since the case has completed the objection application procedures operated by the police and prosecution, including the Police Investigation Review Committee composed of external review members and prosecution appeals, as well as the court's reconsideration request, we ask for your understanding that it is difficult to make further comments on the case."


However, Kang stated, "Although it is difficult to comment on individual cases, I would like to emphasize that efforts to strictly investigate sexual violence crimes continue," and explained, "The prosecution, according to case handling standards, in cases of rape using violence or threats, principles of detention investigation are applied, and even in cases of forced molestation, imprisonment is the standard, thus handling cases strictly."


Kang pledged, "We will once again review the policy of strict investigation of sexual crimes and protection of victims."


Additionally, Kang expressed views on the petition regarding the dating violence case in Gangseo-gu, Seoul. Kang said, "The petition requested strong punishment, labeling it as attempted murder. This petition was supported by 212,867 citizens."


Kang stated, "From 2017 to 2019, the number of dating violence reports has increased every year, and last year, about 20,000 reports were received," adding, "This year, the National Police Agency is operating a '2020 Dating Violence Intensive Reporting Period' for two months from July 1 to August 31. In July alone, there were 1,927 reports, of which 893 were criminally charged."



Kang explained, "The suspect in the case was detained by the police and sent to the prosecution, and was subsequently indicted while in detention and is currently on trial."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing