Ministry of Unification: "North Korea's Military Measures on Hold, a Positive Signal's Beginning"
North Korea Significantly Eases Ultra-Hardline Offensive Against South
"Never Heard" of Possible Behind-the-Scenes Inter-Korean Contact
On the 25th, the Ministry of Unification evaluated North Korea's softened stance, moving away from a hardline approach by suspending military actions against the South, as a "positive signal."
A Ministry of Unification official told reporters that day regarding North Korea's recent change in its stance toward the South, "The government consistently maintains the position that inter-Korean agreements must be upheld and that peace on the Korean Peninsula and improvement of inter-Korean relations are important," adding, "Such changes by North Korea can be seen as the beginning of a positive signal."
Previously, on the 24th, North Korean State Affairs Commission Chairman Kim Jong-un suspended the plan for military actions against the South, followed by the removal of loudspeakers broadcasting to the South in the border area. The harshly critical public opinion campaign against the South has also subsided.
The Ministry of Unification official said, "The act of North Korea suspending military measures at a decisive stage cannot be anything but positive," and added, "We hope that inter-Korean relations will improve in the future and that mutual concerns can be discussed through dialogue."
When asked about preparations for a positive start to inter-Korean relations, the official responded, "I will answer with the principled position that the April 27 Panmunjom Declaration must be upheld," refraining from specific remarks.
However, he noted, "Regarding the Panmunjom tour program, I understand that quarantine issues have been resolved," and said, "We will comprehensively review the timing of its resumption reflecting the progress in inter-Korean relations."
Additionally, some have suggested that there may have been behind-the-scenes contacts between the two Koreas regarding North Korea's sudden change in attitude. On this, the Ministry of Unification official denied, saying, "I have not heard of any behind-the-scenes contacts."
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "I'll Stop by Starbucks Tomorrow": People Power Chungbuk Committee and Geoje Mayoral Candidate Face Criticism for Alleged 5·18 Demeaning Remarks
- "I Will Give Them a Chance for Self-Examination": Chinese Scientific Community Shaken by Influencer's Preemptive Whistleblowing
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
Meanwhile, concerning the announcement by defector groups about leaflet distribution toward North Korea, the Ministry of Unification reaffirmed its existing stance of strict response. The official emphasized, "There have been no recent signs of defector groups distributing leaflets toward North Korea," and added, "The government views the distribution of leaflets and goods toward North Korea as a significant threat to the improvement of inter-Korean relations and the safety of residents in border areas, and will take strict measures in cooperation with the police and related agencies."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.