Controversy Over 'Gold Spoon Soldier' Privileges at Air Force Base... Air Force Launches Investigation
[Asia Economy Reporter Song Seung-yoon] Allegations have arisen that a specific soldier is receiving special treatment at an Air Force unit in Seoul, prompting the Air Force to launch an inspection.
On the 12th, the Air Force stated, "Regarding the allegations of preferential treatment of a soldier, an inspection is being conducted under the supervision of the Air Force Headquarters," adding, "Although the inspection was initially initiated by the Air Defense Missile Command, the higher command of the unit in question, considering the seriousness of the situation, the supervisory authority for the inspection has been elevated to the Air Force Headquarters."
These allegations came to light after a petition titled "Exposing Misconduct at the Air Force Unit in Geumcheon-gu" was posted on the Blue House National Petition Board the previous day.
The petitioner, identified as A, introduced themselves as a non-commissioned officer serving at the unit and stated, "The unit gave special favors to a particular soldier due to their parents' wealth. I am exposing the misconduct, including tacit approval and complicity."
A claimed that at the unit, non-commissioned officers were assigned errands such as doing this soldier’s laundry and delivering beverages, and that the soldier used a single-occupancy barracks room and even went on unauthorized outings.
A said, "There was a rumor that 'a non-commissioned officer does the soldier’s laundry and delivers water,' and I heard from non-commissioned officers and soldiers who witnessed this multiple times," adding, "The soldier took laundry out of the unit every Saturday morning to have it washed by a family secretary and had a non-commissioned officer run errands to bring beverages."
Furthermore, A stated, "The soldier reportedly uses a 'royal barracks' alone due to conflicts with other soldiers in the barracks," and "The unit reportedly includes a soldier who was discharged early in the barracks roster to avoid issues with the use of a single room."
A also said, "I do not understand the unauthorized outings for the purpose of going out and the frequent illegal visits with family," emphasizing, "Since these are only testimonies from soldiers, a detailed inspection is necessary."
A explained, "The unit’s finance office is staffed by one person, but it is strange that this soldier joined while the senior soldier’s discharge was still far off," adding, "This is an issue that can be confirmed through inspection."
He also mentioned that an inspection at the unit earlier this year was not properly conducted. However, the Air Force explained that the inspection earlier this year was unrelated to these allegations.
Hot Picks Today
"You Might Regret Not Buying Now"... Overseas Retail Investors Stirred by News of Record-Breaking Monster Stocks' IPOs
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- Mistaken for the Flu, Left Untreated... Death Toll Surges as WHO Declares Emergency (Comprehensive)
- Jinwoo Sunim: "We Must Abandon the Extremes of Surviving by Defeating Others"
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
An Air Force official said, "We are verifying the exact facts through the inspection," and added, "Based on the investigation results, we will take strict measures according to laws and regulations."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.