61% of Japanese Citizens Say "Government Should Quickly Declare State of Emergency in Case of Second Wave"
55% of Confirmed Cases in Past Two Weeks Have Unknown Infection Routes
Concerns About Second Wave Also Raised Domestically
Health Authorities: "We Will Stockpile Test Kits for Preemptive Response"

Commuters wearing masks crowd the streets of Tokyo on April 17 (local time) / Photo by Yonhap News

Commuters wearing masks crowd the streets of Tokyo on April 17 (local time) / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


[Asia Economy reporters Seunggon Han and intern Juhyung Lim] A survey has revealed growing anxiety among the Japanese public regarding the second wave of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19). Although the number of new confirmed cases remains in the 30 to 50 range, concerns are rising that cluster infections could spread at any time due to many cases with unclear infection routes.


Meanwhile, in South Korea, cluster infections have recently erupted mainly in the Seoul metropolitan area and Seoul itself, recording a similar number of new confirmed cases as Japan, raising concerns.


According to a public opinion poll conducted by the Japanese media outlet Yomiuri Shimbun from the 5th to the 7th (local time), 52% of Japanese citizens responded that they feel "very anxious" about the COVID-19 "second wave," and 39% said they feel "somewhat anxious." A total of 91% of respondents expressed anxiety about the possibility of a second wave of COVID-19.


Furthermore, when asked whether the Japanese government should re-declare a state of emergency if infections expand again domestically, 61% answered "should do so promptly," significantly outnumbering the 36% who said "should decide carefully."


On the 7th, according to a comprehensive tally by Japanese broadcaster NHK based on announcements from local governments and the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, 51 new COVID-19 cases were reported in Japan that day.


The number of new COVID-19 cases in Japan peaked at 720 on April 11 and has since gradually declined, showing levels between 31 and 51 this month. The daily death toll also peaked at 31 on the 2nd of last month and has been decreasing gradually.


On April 24th, Tokyo Metropolitan Government employees wearing masks urged citizens to refrain from going out in Kabukicho, Shinjuku Ward, a representative entertainment district in Tokyo. / Photo by Yonhap News

On April 24th, Tokyo Metropolitan Government employees wearing masks urged citizens to refrain from going out in Kabukicho, Shinjuku Ward, a representative entertainment district in Tokyo. / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


However, domestic and international experts believe that the number of COVID-19 diagnostic tests (PCR tests) conducted in Japan is significantly lower compared to other countries, suggesting that a considerable number of confirmed cases may not be reflected in the health authorities' statistics.


In particular, among the 538 cumulative confirmed cases in Japan over the two weeks from the 23rd of last month to the 5th of this month, 55% had unclear infection routes.


Meanwhile, there is also considerable public concern in South Korea about the possibility of a second wave of COVID-19. Especially after transitioning to a "distancing in daily life" quarantine system, the number of new confirmed cases over the past 7 to 8 days has reached the 30 to 50 range, increasing worries.


Incheon City COVID-19 Screening Clinic / Photo by Yonhap News

Incheon City COVID-19 Screening Clinic / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


Earlier, in Seoul and the metropolitan area, a cluster infection originating from clubs in Itaewon, Seoul, occurred in early last month, spreading up to the 7th transmission. Additionally, after a cluster infection occurred at a Coupang logistics center located in Bucheon, Gyeonggi Province, confirmed cases related to religious facilities have continued to emerge.


A 29-year-old office worker A, residing in Gyeonggi Province, said, "As the COVID-19 situation has continued for a long time, everyone seems to have become less vigilant," adding, "I worry that this might spread into another large-scale outbreak, forcing us to return to social distancing."


Another office worker B, aged 31, emphasized, "South Korea was able to control the spread of infection better than other countries overseas thanks to the rapid measures taken by the quarantine authorities," and added, "If signs of infection spread appear again, I think swift action should be taken at any time."


Meanwhile, the quarantine authorities plan to stockpile and manage necessary supplies such as specimen collection kits in preparation for a second large wave of COVID-19.


Yoon Tae-ho, head of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters' quarantine team, said at a regular briefing held at the Government Sejong Complex on the 8th, "To proactively respond to risks such as the occurrence of cluster infections in Daegu and temporary closures of production companies, we have prepared measures to stabilize the supply of specimen collection kits," emphasizing, "Since diagnostic testing is a crucial part of our quarantine system, stabilizing the supply of specimen collection kits is an essential matter."



The quarantine authorities will monitor domestic production and demand weekly, pre-check for any shortages of kits, and request additional production from related companies if necessary. Health centers will stockpile enough supplies for two weeks of use in advance, and the government will separately stockpile 350,000 kits to prepare for emergency situations.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing