[Asia Economy Reporter Kwangho Lee] The Pohang Earthquake Truth Investigation Committee under the Prime Minister's Office is starting full-scale truth investigation activities, including accepting application forms.


The Truth Investigation Committee announced on the 15th that it will accept applications for truth investigation for 60 days from July 1 to July 30 to clarify the facts of the Pohang earthquake.


Applications for truth investigation can be submitted regardless of whether the applicant is a resident of the Pohang area, concerning the cause and responsibility of the Pohang earthquake, the appropriateness of the geothermal power project site selection process, and the project implementation process. Organizations can also apply.


The Truth Investigation Committee will review the submitted applications and promptly conduct investigations on matters deemed necessary.


Individuals or organizations wishing to apply for the truth investigation can download the application form from the Truth Investigation Committee’s website, which will be launched on the same day, and submit it by mail or other means. In special cases where documents cannot be submitted, applications can be made orally.


Chairman Lee Hak-eun of the Truth Investigation Committee said, "Through this application process, we ask for active interest and participation from many people so that the specific causes and responsibilities of the Pohang earthquake can be revealed," and emphasized, "It is most important that related ministries and Pohang City cooperate to actively communicate with the public to ensure no one misses the application deadline."


He also said, "In accordance with the purpose of the Special Act on the Pohang Earthquake for truth investigation and damage relief, we will focus all our capabilities to ensure that the investigation activities are objective and fair based on scientific evidence."


The Truth Investigation Committee was established under the Prime Minister's Office on the 1st of last month following the enforcement of the Special Act on the Pohang Earthquake. It consists of nine civilian members, including Chairman Lee.


At the appointment ceremony, Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun said, "(The Pohang earthquake) happened two and a half years ago. Although there have been audits and investigations since then, there was a judgment that the truth needed to be properly clarified from the perspective of the public and the affected area. Therefore, the National Assembly enacted a special law, and today this committee was launched under that law," and urged, "Please conduct the truth investigation objectively and fairly based on evidence."



Meanwhile, applications for damage relief for Pohang earthquake victims will be accepted separately from September 1. However, this may change depending on the resolution of the Damage Relief Deliberation Committee.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing