Taeyoungho "Received many reprimands in the past two days since Kim Jong-un's appearance"
Jiseongho "Reflected and deeply felt the weight of my position"

Tae Young-ho, a member-elect of the United Future Party (Seoul Gangnam-gu Gap), is speaking at the members-elect meeting held at the National Assembly in Yeouido, Seoul, on the morning of April 28. [Photo by Yonhap News]

Tae Young-ho, a member-elect of the United Future Party (Seoul Gangnam-gu Gap), is speaking at the members-elect meeting held at the National Assembly in Yeouido, Seoul, on the morning of April 28. [Photo by Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Han Seung-gon] Tae Young-ho, a member-elect of the United Future Party, and Ji Seong-ho, a member-elect of the Future Korea Party, who sparked controversy by raising rumors of North Korean Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un's "personal abnormality" and "death," which were later revealed to be "fake news," have issued statements apologizing.


In a statement on the 4th, Tae said, "Regardless of the reason, I apologize to the people," adding, "After Kim Jong-un's appearance, I received a lot of criticism over the past two days and deeply realized the impact of every word I say."


He said, "I know that one of the reasons the people chose me, Tae Young-ho, as a member of the National Assembly was their expectation for accurate analysis and outlook on North Korean issues. I believe the disappointment was as great as the expectations."


He continued, "I deeply feel the people's criticism and heavy responsibility. I promise to carry out more cautious and humble legislative activities as a result of this incident."


Jiseongho, Elected Member of Mirae Korea Party [Photo by Yonhap News]

Jiseongho, Elected Member of Mirae Korea Party [Photo by Yonhap News]

View original image


Ji also issued a statement on the same day, saying, "First, I sincerely apologize to the people. Over the past few days, I have reflected deeply on myself. I felt the weight of my position profoundly. I will act cautiously as a public figure from now on."


He added, "As the people expect, I will become a worker who serves only the people. Once again, I deeply apologize."


North Korean State Affairs Commission Chairman Kim Jong-un, who had been surrounded by rumors of death, resumed public activities after 20 days, demonstrating his vitality. The Korean Central News Agency reported on the 2nd that Chairman Kim attended the completion ceremony of the Suncheon Fertilizer Factory on May Day (May 1). <br>[Image source=Yonhap News]

North Korean State Affairs Commission Chairman Kim Jong-un, who had been surrounded by rumors of death, resumed public activities after 20 days, demonstrating his vitality. The Korean Central News Agency reported on the 2nd that Chairman Kim attended the completion ceremony of the Suncheon Fertilizer Factory on May Day (May 1).
[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


Earlier, on the 28th of last month, Tae appeared on the U.S. CNN broadcast and said, "One thing is clear: Chairman Kim is in a state where he cannot stand or walk properly on his own." However, he failed to provide concrete evidence for his statement.


Ji went further, claiming through Yonhap News on the 1st, "I am 99% certain of Chairman Kim's death." He mentioned the time of death as "last weekend" and predicted that North Korea would make an official announcement this weekend.


However, on the 2nd, Korean Central Broadcasting reported that Chairman Kim attended the completion ceremony of the fertilizer factory in Sunchon, South Pyongan Province, on the previous day (the 1st). Kim appeared after 20 days since presiding over the Workers' Party Political Bureau meeting on the 11th of last month, demonstrating his vitality.


As rumors surrounding Chairman Kim's personal condition turned into "fake news," the ruling party called for an official apology from the two members-elect who caused social confusion.


Kang Hoon-sik, chief spokesperson for the Democratic Party, criticized in a written briefing on the same day, "Despite the government officially denying the 'Kim Jong-un death rumor,' it was highly inappropriate to spread fake news by exploiting their status as defectors."



Kang demanded, "They should sincerely apologize to the people of the Republic of Korea who warmly embraced them for responding with false information and false propaganda and agitation." He added, "If the two members-elect are to serve as members of the National Assembly, they must adopt a responsible attitude."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing