Citizen Reporter Cheon Chuse Missing After Exposing Wuhan Reality... Is Chinese Authorities Behind?
Citizen Reporter Cheon Chuseu Reveals the Reality in Wuhan
Lost Contact Since the 6th
Chinese Authorities Notify Cheon Chuseu's Family of "Quarantine"
▲Citizen reporter Cheon Chuseu, who has been informing about the situation in Wuhan through YouTube.
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Kwon Jaehee] Cheon Chuseu (34), a citizen reporter who has been reporting on the local situation and authorities' response in Wuhan, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus infection (Wuhan pneumonia), has been missing since the 6th, CNN reported on the 9th (local time).
According to the report, Cheon Chuseu, a former lawyer, has been out of contact since the evening of the 6th. His family said they only received notification from the authorities that he was quarantined, but they have not been given any answers about when or where he was quarantined.
Previously, Dr. Li Wenliang, who first alerted the public to the spread of the novel coronavirus, was labeled a rumor spreader, and now citizen reporter Cheon Chuseu, who has been critical of the authorities, has also gone missing.
Cheon Chuseu's family and friends have tried to contact him multiple times but have been unable to reach him. A friend posted a video message from Cheon Chuseu's mother on his Twitter account.
In the video, Cheon Chuseu's mother appeals, "To everyone online, especially friends in Wuhan, please help us find my son."
Cheon Chuseu's friend, Xu Xiaodong, said on a YouTube broadcast, "The authorities informed the family that Cheon Chuseu was quarantined, but they refused to answer where he was quarantined."
Following the death of Dr. Li Wenliang, which has sparked anger and criticism among the Chinese public, Cheon Chuseu's disappearance has drawn attention on social networks (SNS), CNN reported.
CNN also introduced Cheon Chuseu alongside Li Wenliang, focusing on his activities. Cheon Chuseu arrived in Wuhan on January 24, the day after the lockdown was imposed, and actively posted videos online showing hospitals, funeral homes, and temporary quarantine wards. Cheon Chuseu said, "If I don't run to the front lines where the disaster is, what kind of reporter would I be? While I am here, I will not spread rumors or incite fear or panic. But I will not cover up the truth."
In a video posted on January 30, Cheon Chuseu said, "I am scared. The virus is in front of me, and the public security is behind me." He added, "As long as I am alive, I will continue reporting here. I am not afraid of dying. Why should I fear the Communist Party?"
Hot Picks Today
"Only Two Per Person" Garbage Bag Crisis Was Just Yesterday... Japan Also Faces Shortage Anxiety
- "Samsung Electronics Employee with 100 Million Won Salary Receiving 600 Million Won Bonus... Estimated Tax Revealed"
- Lived as Family for Over 30 Years... Daughter-in-Law Cast Aside After Husband's Death
- 'Will Demand Finally Decline Due to High Prices?'... "I'll Just Enjoy Nearby Trips" as Japan and China See a Surge
- "Wore It Once, Then This? White Spots All Over 4.15 Million Won Prada Jacket... 'Full Refund Ordered'"
He also claimed that his parents in Qingdao are already being harassed by the authorities.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.