"Delivery Packages and Food Left at Doorstep" Citizens' Anxiety Grows Amid 'New Coronavirus' Spread
Increase in Delivery App Usage like 'Baedal Minjok' and 'Yogiyo'
Citizens "Anxious About Contact with Delivery Workers"
Courier Companies "Social Anxiety Grows, Face-to-Face Delivery Difficult"
Additional Domestic 'Novel Coronavirus' Cases Confirmed...Total 24
Amid ongoing concerns over the spread of the novel coronavirus infection, on the 3rd, citizens wearing masks are moving around at Starfield COEX Mall in Gangnam-gu, Seoul. Photo by Yonhap News
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Kim Ga-yeon] "These days, because I feel uneasy, I ask them to 'leave it at the door and ring the doorbell before leaving.'
A (26), an office worker living alone in OO-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, said, "Since I live alone, I tend to order delivery food often, but with the spread of the novel coronavirus recently, I think I’m ordering even more frequently."
A said, "I ordered food using a delivery app last weekend and yesterday as well," adding, "Since I pay with my phone anyway, there’s no need for face-to-face contact with the delivery person. So if they leave it at the door, I’ll go out and get it."
The novel coronavirus infection (Wuhan pneumonia), which originated in Wuhan, China, is spreading domestically as well. On the 7th, one more confirmed case was reported, bringing the total to 24, and citizens are expressing concerns about infection.
Citizens are avoiding outings to crowded places such as large shopping malls and theaters, reducing dining out, and increasingly using delivery food and parcel services.
According to the delivery app industry on the 5th, from January 31 to February 2, the delivery app "Baedal Minjok" recorded 4.93 million orders over three days. This is an 11.3% increase compared to the same period a month ago. It also showed an 8.4% increase compared to two weeks before the Lunar New Year holiday.
Another delivery company, "Yogiyo," also confirmed an 18% increase in orders compared to last month, and a 15% increase compared to two weeks ago.
Citizens prefer delivery food over dining out but are reluctant to have contact with delivery workers.
CJ Logistics requested to refrain from face-to-face delivery due to the domestic spread of the novel coronavirus infection. Photo by Reader Provided
View original imageSome consumers are avoiding face-to-face contact by requesting "please leave it at the front door" when ordering online shopping or delivery food. This is because close conversations when handing over parcels or food could pose a risk of infection.
University student B (23) said, "Because of the novel coronavirus, even the start of the semester has been postponed, so I plan not to go out for a while," adding, "I shop online for groceries and other necessities, and when the delivery person rings the doorbell, I just ask them to leave it at the door."
He added, "Honestly, I feel uneasy because the delivery workers go around all day and I don’t know who they’ve met before. Of course, they might also be worried that I could be a confirmed or contact case, so asking them to just leave it is good for both sides."
Delivery workers also express similar concerns. Since they deliver all over the country, they worry about encountering confirmed or contact cases.
Given this situation, some companies have announced they will refrain from face-to-face delivery for the time being. CJ Logistics posted on their website on the 5th, asking for understanding as "due to the recent novel coronavirus, social anxiety has increased, making face-to-face delivery difficult." The company informs customers of this through pre-delivery text messages.
Meanwhile, the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) urges people to avoid going out as much as possible and to thoroughly practice personal hygiene such as handwashing.
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
- "Am I Really in the Top 30%?" and "Worried About My Girlfriend in the Bottom 70%"... Buzz Over High Oil Price Relief Fund
- "It Has Now Crossed Borders": No Vaccine or Treatment as Bundibugyo Ebola Variant Spreads [Reading Science]
The KCDC Central Disease Control Headquarters announced on the 7th that one more confirmed case of the novel coronavirus was reported, bringing the total to 24. The 24th patient (28, male) was a Korean resident who returned from Wuhan on a special flight. While quarantined at the Asan Police Human Resources Development Institute in Chungnam, he reported symptoms such as a sore throat on the 6th, was tested, and confirmed positive. He is currently hospitalized at the National Medical Center.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.