[Image source=AP Yonhap News]

[Image source=AP Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Kwon Jae-hee] Major foreign media reported on the 9th (local time) that U.S. President Donald Trump made remarks suggesting that the Phase 1 U.S.-China trade agreement scheduled for January 15 might be signed "after that."


Visiting Toledo, Ohio for his first campaign rally of the new year, President Trump said in an interview with an ABC TV affiliate local station, "We plan to sign on the 15th," adding, "I think it will probably be January 15, but it could be just after that. This is a big deal with China."


President Trump had previously stated on Twitter on December 31 that "the agreement will be signed on January 15."


The White House has not made any official statement regarding President Trump's remarks.


The Phase 1 agreement is expected to lower tariffs, increase China's purchases of U.S. farm products, energy, and manufactured goods, and resolve some disputes over intellectual property rights.


Chinese Vice Premier Liu He is scheduled to lead a Chinese delegation to Washington DC from January 13 to 15 to sign the Phase 1 U.S.-China trade agreement, Gao Feng, spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of Commerce, said on the 9th (local time).


Spokesperson Gao said, "The negotiation teams on both sides are communicating closely for the signing of the agreement."



Meanwhile, before departing for Ohio on the same day, President Trump told reporters at the White House that the Phase 2 trade agreement might be made after the November presidential election.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing