Russia Claims "Ukraine Carried Out Drone Attack on Putin's Residence"
A dispute over the truth has erupted between Russia and Ukraine after Russia claimed that Ukraine carried out a drone attack on President Vladimir Putin's residence on the night of December 28 (local time). If, as Russia claims, Ukraine did launch a drone attack, it is expected to hinder the peace negotiations with the United States that were nearing their final stage. On the other hand, Ukraine has strongly refuted these claims, calling them "lies" fabricated by Russia as a pretext to continue the war.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov stated on December 29 that Ukraine launched 91 long-range drones at President Putin's residence in Novgorod region during the night of December 28 to 29, and that Russian military air defense systems shot down all the drones. He emphasized that the drone attack was attempted while Russia and the United States were engaged in negotiations to resolve the conflict in Ukraine.
Photo of Russian President Vladimir Putin's residence taken by satellite in 2023. Photo by Reuters and Yonhap News Agency
원본보기 아이콘He said that Russia would revise its position on the negotiations, considering that Ukraine has shifted to a policy of "state terrorism." He also added that Russia would not let this issue pass without a response, and that the targets and timing of the Russian military's retaliatory strikes had already been decided.
Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Grushko also claimed, "As soon as the negotiations entered a delicate stage of seeking a solution, the Ukrainian authorities took provocative actions based on the logic that they would not allow conditions for a peaceful agreement to form," and insisted, "We believe Ukraine's recent provocations were influenced by the United Kingdom."
Zelensky: "Russia's Claims Are Lies... Aimed at Undermining Peace Talks with the U.S."
On the other hand, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky told reporters via a messenger application (app) that Russia's claims are "lies," arguing that "Russia is trying to undermine the progress Ukraine and the United States have made in peace negotiations." He also stated, "Moscow is preparing a pretext for an attack on the Kyiv government building," and urged the United States to respond appropriately to the Russian threat.
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Syvokha also criticized Russia's claims in a post on X (formerly Twitter), saying, "Russia's claims are fabricated to create a pretext and false justification for further attacks on Ukraine and to undermine and disrupt the peace process." Minister Syvokha described this as "a typical Russian tactic, blaming the other side for actions they themselves have committed or are planning," and called on the international community to join in condemning Russia for disrupting the peace talks.
Trump Listens More Closely to Putin... Expectations for an End to the War Significantly Diminish
Donald Trump, President of the United States, who is acting as a mediator and de facto "key man" in the war, appears to have sided with President Putin for now. Before a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, when asked about the drone attack, President Trump said, "It's not good," and "I don't like it." He confirmed the Kremlin's announcement, saying that he had heard about the attack directly from President Putin during a phone call and that Putin was "very angry." Earlier, Yuri Ushakov, Kremlin foreign policy adviser, said that President Putin had personally informed President Trump about the drone attack during their phone conversation, and that President Trump was deeply shocked.
When asked whether the United States had obtained evidence supporting Russia's claims, President Trump replied, "Well, we'll find out," and added, "It's also possible, as you said, that the attack didn't actually happen." Nevertheless, he said, "But President Putin told me this morning that it happened."
This news appears to have dampened the previously heightened expectations for an end to the Russia-Ukraine war. The previous day, during a joint press conference with President Zelensky, President Trump had described the progress of mediation talks with the warring parties, including Russia and Ukraine, as "95%," while noting that "one or two thorny issues" remained, such as territorial disputes and other complex matters.
At present, the possibility that the incident was staged by Russia itself cannot be ruled out. In fact, Reuters reported that it was unclear whether President Putin was at his residence at the time Russia claimed the drone attack occurred. Euronews also stated that it could not confirm whether an actual attack had taken place.
Meanwhile, President Putin, after receiving a report from a Russian military commander that Russian forces had advanced to within about 15 kilometers of the largest city in the Zaporizhzhia region of southern Ukraine, ordered continued military operations to take control of the entire Zaporizhzhia region.