An Kyu-baek Departs for U.S.: "No Issues with Accelerating OPCON Transfer"
Focus on Bridging the Perception Gap with the U.S. Over Timeline
Defense Minister An Kyu-baek, who is visiting the United States, stated on May 10 that the transition of wartime operational control (OPCON) has been prepared in a "systematic, stable, and consistent manner," adding, "I believe there is no significant problem in accelerating the OPCON transition."
Defense Minister An Kyu-baek, who is visiting the United States, is moving to the departure area of Terminal 2 at Incheon International Airport on the 10th. Photo by Yonhap News
View original imageBefore departing from Incheon International Airport on the same day, Minister An told reporters, "Authorities from South Korea and the United States made significant progress based on a conditions-based agreement regarding OPCON transition in 2015." He explained that, at the 47th South Korea-U.S. Security Consultative Meeting (SCM) in 2015, the two countries agreed on the Conditions-based OPCON Transition Plan (COTP) and have since been pursuing the OPCON transition accordingly.
The government is known to be working to complete the verification of Full Operational Capability (FOC) for the Future Combined Forces Command, which is the second stage of the evaluation and verification process for OPCON transition, within this year. It is also pushing to set "2028" as the target year for the transition at the upcoming SCM in October.
However, a subtle difference in perspective has emerged between the two countries after Gen. J.B. Brunsen, Commander of U.S. Forces Korea, mentioned during a U.S. congressional hearing that the target date for meeting the transition conditions would be "the first quarter of 2029." Minister An noted that during last year’s 57th SCM, both sides agreed to finalize the target year for transition at the end-of-year SCM, saying, "This is one of the key issues during this (U.S.) visit."
Another major agenda item is "cooperation in the construction of nuclear-powered submarines." Minister An said, "Since this is a matter agreed upon by both heads of state as a major premise, it is extremely important to implement the follow-up measures." He added, "I plan to discuss again the fulfillment of promises and mutual cooperation between South Korea and the United States to achieve this." When asked if the first round of negotiations could begin within the first half of the year, he replied, "Of course," stressing, "No matter what difficulties arise, this is an issue that must be resolved between the military authorities of both countries."
He also said, "So far, South Korea and the United States have not encountered major problems in fulfilling promises and following procedures, regardless of the issues or challenges." He added, "If the U.S. side provides some support for fuel, there will be no major obstacles in proceeding with that (construction) process."
Hot Picks Today
If They Fail Next Year, Bonus Drops to 97 Million Won... A Closer Look at Samsung Electronics DS Division’s 600M vs 460M vs 160M Performance Bonuses
- Opening a Bank Account in Korea Is Too Difficult..."Over 150,000 Won in Notarization Fees Just for a Child's Account and Debit Card" [Foreigner K-Finance Status]②
- Less Than a Year Later... Eunma Apartment Reconstruction Payments Surge by 300 Million Won
- "Manhole Cover Blasts Open in 12 Seconds... The Reason Behind the 'Gangnam Flood Disaster' [Report]"
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
Despite the agreement between the two leaders on nuclear submarine cooperation, there have been observations that progress has been delayed due to economic and trade issues, such as the Coupang issue, being intertwined with this matter.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.