WP Reports: CIA Assessment Delivered to White House
Contrasts with Trump Administration’s Claims of 'Imminent Ceasefire'

U.S. intelligence agencies have projected that Iran could withstand the U.S. naval blockade for at least another three to four months.


The Washington Post (WP) reported on May 7 (local time), citing multiple sources, that the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) delivered a report containing this assessment to the Trump administration earlier this week.

CIA: "Iran Can Withstand U.S. Naval Blockade for 3 to 4 Months" View original image

Although President Donald Trump and other senior U.S. officials have promoted the idea that a ceasefire agreement with Iran is imminent due to the naval blockade and economic sanctions, in reality, Iran still has the capacity to endure the blockade for several more months. Citing sources, the WP reported that Iran has stored some crude oil in empty tankers to counter the U.S. blockade and has reduced production at several oil fields. One U.S. official told the WP that Iran could withstand economic hardship even longer than the CIA estimated. As Iran’s leadership has become more hardline, they have become confident that they can suppress any form of domestic resistance.


There are also projections that Iran may attempt to smuggle oil via land routes instead of by sea. According to one U.S. official, "Iran may have started transporting oil by rail through Central Asia." This, too, could work against President Trump, who is under pressure to end the conflict quickly due to rising oil prices. President Trump has repeatedly expressed optimism about a ceasefire, even suggesting that an agreement with Iran could be reached before his visit to China next week.


The CIA report also addresses Iran’s missile capabilities. According to the report, Iran’s current stockpile of missiles and mobile launchers remains formidable. Compared to before the war, Iran is believed to have about 75% of its previous number of mobile launchers and about 70% of its pre-war missile inventory. One U.S. official told the WP that "the Iranian regime has restored and reactivated almost all underground storage facilities and repaired damaged missiles," adding, "there is evidence that some of the new missiles, which were nearly completed before the war, have been assembled."



Meanwhile, President Trump claimed on May 6 that "most of Iran’s missiles have been destroyed" and that "the current stockpile is at 18 to 19%."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing