"Trump Delayed Background Check Due to FBI Hostility"
Republicans Welcome MOU Signing

Donald Trump, the President-elect of the United States, whose transition team has been under scrutiny due to a series of disqualifying controversies surrounding cabinet nominees, has agreed with the U.S. Department of Justice on background checks for the nominees.


On the 3rd (local time), Trump’s transition team announced in a statement that they had signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the Department of Justice regarding this matter. The transition team said, "This is the next step in the ongoing preparations for senior officials who will serve in the second Trump administration," adding, "It will provide additional understanding of the transition process and allow access to the information necessary to prepare new leadership in federal agencies and departments."


Reuters Yonhap News

Reuters Yonhap News

View original image

Susie Wiles, the designated White House Chief of Staff, emphasized, "Through this agreement with the Department of Justice, President-elect Trump and his team will be prepared to implement the America First agenda, which received overwhelming support from the public, from day one of the inauguration."


With the signing of this MOU, the transition team staff and senior administration nominees will be able to obtain federal security clearance before the inauguration on January 20 next year. Additionally, background checks by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) on senior nominees are expected to proceed.


Background checks by the FBI on senior nominees have traditionally been conducted during U.S. government transitions. This process determines whether the nominee is suitable to access national security-related classified information and prepares the necessary documentation for Senate confirmation.


However, President-elect Trump delayed signing the MOU with the Department of Justice until nearly a month after his election victory. The New York Times (NYT) explained that Trump harbored extreme hostility toward the FBI, which had investigated him, causing the MOU signing to be postponed for several weeks. Before the MOU was signed, it was reported that Trump’s transition team even considered hiring private investigators to substitute for the FBI’s background checks.


Getty Images Yonhap News

Getty Images Yonhap News

View original image

As Trump fills his second-term cabinet with 'loyalists,' many nominees have been embroiled in various sexual scandals and conspiracy theory controversies, leading to the conclusion that there is no longer justification to refuse the customary background checks. Previously, Matt Gaetz, a former congressman nominated for Attorney General, was forced to withdraw amid allegations of soliciting minors. Pete Hegseth, nominated for Secretary of Defense, and Linda McMahon, nominated for Secretary of Education, are also not free from sexual misconduct allegations. Additionally, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., selected as the next Secretary of Health and Human Services, is known as a prominent 'vaccine conspiracy theorist,' and Kathy Patel, former Chief of Staff to the Secretary of Defense and Trump’s pick for FBI Director?breaking the tradition of maintaining independence?is one of the staunchest supporters of claims of election fraud in 2020.



Politico reported, "In recent days, several senators have called for thorough vetting of Trump’s nominees," and noted that Republican senators welcomed the news of the MOU signing. Senator Kevin Cramer said, "I think it’s a good thing," adding, "I’m glad it can provide some reassurance to the public and senators." However, CNN pointed out that it remains unclear how many senior nominees in the second Trump administration will undergo FBI background checks as a result of this MOU.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing