US Court Sentences January 6 Capitol Rioter to 22 Years in Prison... "Longest Sentence Among Defendants"
Far-Right 'Proud Boys' Enrique Tarrio
Not in Washington DC During Incident but Led Incitement
"Ashamed," Yet Judge Says "No Sign of Remorse"
One of the ringleaders of the far-right group 'Proud Boys,' which led the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, was sentenced to 22 years in prison. Among the recent convictions of key figures involved in the incident, the longest sentence was handed down to a person who was not present at the Capitol but played a central role in orchestrating the event.
According to the Washington Post (WP) and other sources on the 5th (local time), U.S. District Judge Timothy Kelly sentenced Enrique Tarrio, the leader of the Proud Boys, to 22 years in prison for obstructing the congressional process to certify the 2020 presidential election results and for engaging in a seditious conspiracy related to the January 6, 2021, Capitol attack. This is the longest sentence among over 1,100 individuals charged in connection with the January 6 Capitol riot.
Leader Enrique Tarrio of the far-right group 'Proud Boys,' which led the January 6 Capitol riot in the United States
[Image source=AP Yonhap News]
Previously, Desen Nordin, who acted as the on-site leader of the Proud Boys in Tarrio's absence, and Stewart Rhodes, the leader of another anti-government far-right group, the Oath Keepers, were each sentenced to 18 years in prison. Other key Proud Boys figures, Joseph Biggs, Zachary Rehl, and Dominic Pezzola, received sentences of 17, 15, and 10 years respectively.
Tarrio, who hails from Miami, was not in Washington DC, where the Capitol is located, on January 6, 2021, the day of the incident. In December 2020, just prior to the event, he was arrested near Washington DC for burning a banner that read "Black Lives Matter" and for possessing high-capacity rifle magazines, resulting in a ban from entering Washington DC.
However, the court found that Tarrio recruited people to participate in the January 6 Capitol attack and, although he was not physically present at the scene on the day, he played a key role by inciting the event through social media. Tarrio posted on social media at the time of the incident, saying, "Proud of my boys and my country." Prosecutors also stated that he instructed members to dress appropriately and not to wear colored clothing.
Judge Kelly said, "Tarrio was the ultimate leader and figure who organized the January 6 Capitol attack with a passion to incite a revolution," and noted that even though he was not on site, he had a tremendous impact on the event. He added, "The seditious conspiracy is a serious attack, and there is little debate that he was the ultimate leader."
Before sentencing, Tarrio apologized for his and the Proud Boys' actions, saying, "I am deeply ashamed and disappointed in myself for causing sadness and pain to many." He added, "I am not a political fanatic. My goal was not to harm or change the election results." Tarrio's attorney, Sabino Jauregui, argued that Tarrio was a misguided patriot, not a terrorist, who was trying to protect his country.
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- Controversy Over Mysterious Numbers at Starbucks: From Sewol Ferry and Park Geun-hye to May 18
- Cost Instability Grips 'AI Rally'... Iran War Identified as the Cause
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
However, Judge Kelly ruled, "Tarrio has shown no remorse for the events that occurred throughout the many court proceedings leading up to today," and "There is no evidence that he regrets what he actually did."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.