100 Days Since the Disaster on the 5th of Next Month
Calls for Enactment of Special Law and Establishment of Truth Investigation Committee

On the morning of the 30th, participants are speaking at the press conference announcing the 100-day intensive memorial week for the October 29 Itaewon tragedy held in front of the Government Seoul Office Building. [Image source=Yonhap News]

On the morning of the 30th, participants are speaking at the press conference announcing the 100-day intensive memorial week for the October 29 Itaewon tragedy held in front of the Government Seoul Office Building. [Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

[Asia Economy Reporter Gong Byung-sun] The bereaved families of the Itaewon tragedy victims have declared a concentrated memorial week ahead of the 100th day since the disaster. They criticized the investigation so far as inadequate and urged a thorough fact-finding.


According to civic groups on the 31st, the 10·29 Itaewon Tragedy Bereaved Families Council (Council) and the 10·29 Itaewon Tragedy Citizens’ Countermeasures Committee (Countermeasures Committee) held a "Declaration Press Conference for the 100-Day Concentrated Memorial Week of the Itaewon Tragedy" in front of the Seoul Government Complex in Jongno-gu, Seoul, the day before. The Itaewon tragedy will mark its 100th day on the 5th of next month.


They emphasized the need to establish a fact-finding organization through the enactment of a special law to hold higher authorities accountable. Lee Jeong-min, Vice President of the Council, said, "We expected the Special Investigation Headquarters (SIH) and the national audit to uncover the suspicions, but it was only a superficial investigation," adding, "We must clarify the doubts through a special investigation body and ensure that such a tragedy never happens again."


They also demanded the resignation of Lee Sang-min, Minister of the Ministry of the Interior and Safety. Park Joo-min, a member of the Democratic Party of Korea who attended the press conference, said, "If Minister Lee, who is pointed out as the person most responsible, does not step down voluntarily, the National Assembly must take action," and added, "The National Assembly should legislatively support an independent fact-finding organization." Yong Hye-in, a member of the Basic Income Party, stated, "If Minister Lee does not take responsibility, he should be impeached," and "Discussion on a special prosecutor is necessary for proper punishment of those responsible."


After the press conference, representatives of the organizations continued one-person protests holding placards at the Seoul Government Complex and Gwanghwamun Square, demanding a thorough investigation. The placards read "Minister Lee, resign" and "Establish an independent fact-finding organization," among others.



During the upcoming concentrated memorial week, the bereaved families plan to perform 159 prostrations praying for the repose of the victims at the Itaewon tragedy memorial altar in front of Noksapyeong Station. Additionally, on the 4th of next month, one day before the 100th day of the tragedy, they will hold a "100-Day Memorial March" from the Itaewon tragedy memorial altar toward Seoul Station and Gwanghwamun starting at 11 a.m. A 100-day citizen memorial rally will also be held at the northern plaza of Gwanghwamun.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing