Changwon Mayor Hong Nampyo Denies All Election Law Violations at First Trial
[Asia Economy Yeongnam Reporting Headquarters Reporter Lee Seryeong] Hong Nampyo, mayor of Changwon Special City, Gyeongnam, who was indicted on charges of violating the Public Official Election Act, appeared at the first trial held at Changwon District Court on the morning of the 26th.
Mayor Hong was indicted without detention on charges of bribing a candidate who intended to run in the People Power Party primary by promising a public office during the nationwide local elections last June.
At the trial, both Mr. A, who was involved in the public office proposal with Mayor Hong, and Mr. B, who claimed to have received the proposal, were present.
According to the prosecution, around March 22 last year, Mayor Hong and Mr. A conspired knowing that Mr. B would run as a preliminary candidate for the People Power Party’s Changwon mayoral election and proposed that he join Mayor Hong’s election campaign, who was also a preliminary candidate at the time.
On April 5, ahead of the party primary, they are accused of promising a public office to Mr. B at a restaurant to prevent him from running as a preliminary candidate.
Mr. B is accused of accepting the proposal to join Mayor Hong’s election campaign and the promise of a public office from Mr. A between March 13 and April 4 last year.
Hong Nampyo, Mayor of Changwon Special City, Gyeongnam, is walking to the courtroom building of Changwon District Court to attend his first trial.
[Photo by Lee Seryeong]
The defense attorney for Mayor Hong denied both the public office proposal and conspiracy, stating, “At that time, Mr. B was not someone who wanted to become a candidate.”
Mr. A’s side also said, “We agree that Mr. B was not someone who intended to become a candidate and are preparing to file a constitutional review petition regarding this matter.”
They added, “We did not even know that Mr. B was a candidate intending to run in the party primary. We only requested him to join the campaign and had no intention to prevent him from running.”
Mr. B’s side admitted all the charges brought by the prosecution.
The court decided to first examine whether Mr. B intended to become a candidate, as requested by Mayor Hong and Mr. A’s sides, and plans to summon 5 to 6 related witnesses.
The next trial is scheduled for 2 p.m. on March 6, during which the court will conduct witness examinations.
Hot Picks Today
"It Has Finally Crossed Borders"... Greater Fear Due to Delayed Detection, No Treatment for Variant Ebola [Reading Science]
- Samsung Electronics Labor-Management Reach Agreement, General Strike Postponed... "Deficit-Business Unit Allocation Deferred for One Year"
- "Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "From a 70 Million Won Loss to a 350 Million Won Profit with Samsung and SK hynix"... 'Stock Jackpot' Grandfather Gains Attention
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
Before the trial, Mayor Hong told reporters in front of the courthouse, “I will do my best to clarify the facts.”
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.