Pelosi, Speaker of the US House, Hints at Impact of 'Husband's Home Attack' on Future Political Moves
[Asia Economy Reporter Jeong Hyunjin] Nancy Pelosi, a leading politician of the U.S. Democratic Party and Speaker of the House, said on the 7th (local time), one day before the U.S. midterm elections, that the attack on her husband would influence her future political moves.
In an exclusive interview with CNN on the same day, Pelosi was asked, "Will the attack on your husband affect your political decisions?" and she answered, "Yes."
With forecasts suggesting that the Democratic Party could lose both the Senate and the House to the Republican Party in this midterm election, some have cautiously speculated that Pelosi might declare her political retirement as a result. Regarding this, Pelosi responded, "That decision will be influenced by what happens in the next one to two weeks."
In the interview, Pelosi revealed the situation when she first heard the news that her husband, Paul Pelosi, had been attacked. Her husband was struck with a blunt weapon by an intruder at their San Francisco home on the 28th of last month and underwent emergency surgery for a skull fracture and other injuries. Pelosi had previously stated that she was traumatized the night after the incident occurred.
Pelosi said that when she first heard the news of the attack, it was early dawn. She was sleeping at her Washington DC residence when the doorbell rang, and upon waking, it was 5 a.m. At first, she thought the doorbell was ringing somewhere else. Then the doorbell rang again, and after several knocks on the door, she headed to the front door, saying, "I was very scared."
When Pelosi opened the front door, Capitol Police officers were there and said, "We need to come in and talk." Pelosi said, "(At that moment) I thought of my children and grandchildren. I never thought it would be Paul. He never goes outside." She added, "They came in, and at that time, I didn't even know where he was."
Paul Pelosi was hospitalized at the trauma center of San Francisco General Hospital after emergency surgery and was discharged on the 3rd.
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- Controversy Over Mysterious Numbers at Starbucks: From Sewol Ferry and Park Geun-hye to May 18
- 'Tank Day' Controversy Draws International Attention... BBC: "Evokes Bloody Suppression of May 18 Gwangju"
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
The assailant in the Paul Pelosi assault case, David DePape, was indicted on the 31st of last month on charges of assault and attempted kidnapping but has consistently denied the charges. DePape was found to have carried cable ties and duct tape during the intrusion and threatened Paul Pelosi to allow him to speak with Speaker Pelosi. When police officers arrived at the scene, he struck Paul Pelosi with the blunt weapon he was carrying, according to the investigation.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.