Kwon Young-se "No Signs of Imminent 7th Nuclear Test by North Korea, but Will Prepare Thorough Response"
Possibility of the 29th Declared as the Day of 'Nuclear Force Completion'
Minister of Unification Kwon Young-se is explaining a bill proposal at the Foreign Affairs and Unification Committee plenary meeting held at the National Assembly in Yeouido, Seoul, on the 7th.
[Image source=Yonhap News]
[Asia Economy Reporter Jang Hee-jun] Unification Minister Kwon Young-se assessed the possibility of North Korea's 7th nuclear test, stating, "They are in a situation where they can conduct it at any time, but there are no concrete signs indicating it is imminent."
On the 7th, Minister Kwon expressed this position in response to a question from Park Jung, a member of the Democratic Party of Korea, during the National Assembly Foreign Affairs and Unification Committee plenary session, regarding "North Korea's nuclear test trends and the government's response."
Minister Kwon said, "Many people speculate that provocations might occur around the time when China's Party Congress concludes and before the U.S. midterm elections, but so far, there seem to be no concrete signs," adding, "Among experts, there are various views that North Korea might conduct a nuclear test around the day it declared the completion of its nuclear force five years ago."
Previously, North Korea conducted its 6th nuclear test on September 3, 2017, at the Punggye-ri nuclear test site in Kilju County, North Hamgyong Province, and later declared the "completion of national nuclear force" by launching an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) known as the Hwasong-15 on November 29 of the same year.
Minister Kwon continued, "From our standpoint, if they conduct a test at any time, we will be prepared to take thorough countermeasures accordingly," emphasizing, "Since direct dialogue with North Korea is not possible, although not through dialogue, we will continue efforts to pressure and persuade North Korea not to conduct nuclear tests by other means."
Foreign Minister Park Jin also stated, "We are closely monitoring North Korea's movements," evaluating, "With China's Party Congress concluded and the U.S. midterm elections upcoming, it is a vulnerable period in many ways." He added, "If North Korea provokes, we are prepared to respond firmly."
Hot Picks Today
"Could I Also Receive 370 Billion Won?"... No Limit on 'Stock Manipulation Whistleblower Rewards' Starting the 26th
- Samsung Electronics Labor-Management Reach Agreement, General Strike Postponed... "Deficit-Business Unit Allocation Deferred for One Year"
- "From a 70 Million Won Loss to a 350 Million Won Profit with Samsung and SK hynix"... 'Stock Jackpot' Grandfather Gains Attention
- "Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
Regarding Bonnie Jenkins, U.S. State Department Under Secretary for Arms Control and International Security, who said at a conference on the 27th of last month that "if North Korea wants dialogue, arms control (negotiations) could be an option," Minister Park reaffirmed, "On last Friday (the 28th), we clearly stated that there is no change in U.S. policy."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.