North Korea Fires Artillery Again in West Sea Buffer Zone... "Response to Enemy Provocation"
Continuous Armed Protests Following the Previous Night
Eight Rounds of Shelling Conducted Since the 14th
[Asia Economy Reporter Jang Hee-jun] North Korea once again conducted artillery fire into the West Sea maritime buffer zone.
The Joint Chiefs of Staff announced that on the 19th at around 12:30 PM, they observed about 100 rounds of artillery fire launched by North Korea into the West Sea from the coastal area of Yeonan-gun, Hwanghae Nam-do, and took appropriate measures.
The impact points were within the maritime buffer zone north of the Northern Limit Line (NLL) according to the September 19 Inter-Korean Military Agreement, and no shells landed in South Korean territorial waters.
The military stated that North Korea’s artillery fire violated the September 19 Military Agreement and issued multiple warning communications demanding an immediate halt to the provocations.
The Joint Chiefs of Staff said, "Artillery fire within the maritime buffer zone is a clear violation of the September 19 Military Agreement. North Korea’s continued provocations are acts that threaten peace and stability not only on the Korean Peninsula but also in the international community. We strongly warn and urge an immediate cessation."
The military is closely monitoring related developments in close cooperation with the United States and is strengthening readiness to prepare for any possible situation.
Just before the military’s announcement, a spokesperson for the North Korean General Staff told the Korean Central News Agency, "Between approximately 8:27 AM and 9:40 AM today, enemy forces again carried out a military provocation by firing about 10 rocket artillery rounds in the forward area of our 5th Corps."
He added, "The General Staff of the Korean People's Army issued orders this morning for our eastern and western front units to conduct another warning artillery fire toward the East and West Seas in response to the enemy’s actions."
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "I'll Stop by Starbucks Tomorrow": People Power Chungbuk Committee and Geoje Mayoral Candidate Face Criticism for Alleged 5·18 Demeaning Remarks
- Trump Puts Attack on Hold, but "Only for a Certain Period"... Treasury Announces Sweeping Sanctions
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
Previously, on the night of the 18th, North Korea fired a total of about 250 rounds into the East and West Sea maritime buffer zones, and on the 14th, it fired more than 560 rounds across five locations in the East and West Sea buffer zones, violating the September 19 Military Agreement.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.