"Mother and Son Conspired"... Prosecution Seeks Life Sentence for Mother and Son Who Murdered Couple in Their 50s with a Bladed Weapon View original image


[Asia Economy Yeongnam Reporting Headquarters Reporter Hwang Du-yeol] Both the son who stabbed a couple in their 50s to death with a weapon on the street and the mother who watched beside them (reported in the online edition of this newspaper on March 3, 2022) were sentenced to life imprisonment.


The Criminal Division 1 of the Western Branch of Busan District Court (Chief Judge Lee Jin-hyuk) held a closing trial on the morning of the 7th in courtroom 401 for Mr. A, a man in his 30s, and his mother Ms. B, in her 50s, who were indicted as accomplices in the murder case.


At this trial, the prosecution requested life imprisonment for both Mr. A and Ms. B and also petitioned for an electronic monitoring order.


According to the Busan District Court, the prosecution stated, "Considering the possibility of additional crimes against the victim's family and the failure to reach a settlement with the family, we request life imprisonment and an order to attach electronic monitoring devices."


Mr. A, accused of wielding a weapon and causing the death of the couple, said, "I inflicted irreparable wounds on others by repeating the violence I suffered from domestic abuse in my childhood," and appealed for leniency, saying, "I deeply regret every moment and will live with a heart of repentance for life."


Ms. B, the mother, said, "I doubt that my son could have stabbed so many times in just 1 minute and 30 seconds," and denied that Mr. A wielded the weapon dozens of times, saying, "If he were such a cruel son to harm to that extent, he would not have surrendered on the day of the incident."


Mr. A and Ms. B are accused of stabbing a couple in their 50s to death in front of an apartment in Gupo-dong, Buk-gu, Busan, on March 2 and fleeing the scene.


The mother and son had been arguing with the victim couple over financial issues, and during this process, an enraged Mr. A brought a weapon from his home and committed the crime, according to the investigation.


After the crime, the two fled by car to Gyeongju, Gyeongbuk, but surrendered to the police and were arrested two hours after the crime.


The prosecution initially considered it a solo crime by Mr. A, but since February, they have regarded it as a murder conspiracy with his mother Ms. B and indicted both on murder charges.



The sentencing trial for the mother and son is scheduled to be held at 2 p.m. on August 11 in courtroom 401 of the Western Branch of Busan District Court.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing