New COVID-19 Cases Show Clear Decline... Will 'Enhanced Social Distancing' Be Eased?
'Tightened Social Distancing' Until January 2 Next Year
Authorities Likely to Decide and Announce Extension Around the 31st
On the 27th, as the morning temperature in Seoul dropped to minus 11 degrees Celsius, continuing the severe cold wave, citizens lined up to get tested at the COVID-19 screening center set up at Songpa-gu Public Health Center in Seoul. Photo by Jinhyung Kang aymsdream@
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Kim Daehyun] The number of new COVID-19 cases in South Korea has fallen below 5,000 for the first time in 20 days, showing a decreasing trend for a week, raising attention on whether the 'strengthened social distancing' measures will be eased without extension.
On the morning of the 27th, Kwon Deok-cheol, the first deputy head of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters (CDSCH) and Minister of Health and Welfare, said in a remark at the CDSCH meeting held at the Government Complex Sejong, "The government plans to discuss with the Recovery Support Committee this week whether to extend social distancing measures." The authorities are expected to decide and announce the extension status around the 31st.
Deputy Minister Kwon added, "It is not an easy decision due to various factors such as the spread of Omicron, the continuous increase in severe cases, and the possibility of infection spread from year-end and New Year gatherings, but the government will do its best to protect the lives and health of the people until the end."
Previously, the quarantine authorities regulated private gatherings to a maximum of four people regardless of vaccination status in both the metropolitan area and non-metropolitan areas for 16 days from the 18th of this month to January 2nd next year. Operating hours for multi-use facilities such as restaurants and cafes were restricted to 9 p.m. depending on the risk level.
Due to these measures and the increase in third-dose vaccinations, new confirmed cases have shown a clear decreasing trend over the past week. According to the CDSCH, as of midnight on this day, 4,207 new COVID-19 cases were reported. This is 1,212 fewer than the previous day’s 5,419 and 1,109 fewer than the 5,316 cases reported a week ago (the 20th). Since the 22nd, the number of new cases has been 7,455 → 6,917 → 6,233 → 5,842 → 5,419 → 4,207.
Hot Picks Today
"It Has Now Crossed Borders": No Vaccine or Treatment as Bundibugyo Ebola Variant Spreads [Reading Science]
- "Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
- "Am I Really in the Top 30%?" and "Worried About My Girlfriend in the Bottom 70%"... Buzz Over High Oil Price Relief Fund
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
A government official said, "Internally, we believe that the peak and critical point have passed and the trend is shifting to a decline," adding, "If this decreasing trend continues, there is no need to strengthen social distancing in the early January reassessment." However, the government is reviewing ways to effectively deliver quarantine messages such as refraining from personal contact to prevent the easing of quarantine measures from happening all at once again.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.