Sentencing on January 13 for Charges Including Embezzlement in the Course of Duty

Former President of Gwangju City Sports Council Lee Sang-dong's Trial: Judge Says, "Don't Make the Trial Strange" View original image

[Asia Economy Honam Reporting Headquarters Reporter Park Jin-hyung] "Do not make the trial strange."


On the morning of the 25th, Judge Yoon Bong-hak of the Gwangju District Court Criminal Division 6 spoke in a strong tone to former Gwangju City Sports Council Chairman Lee Sang-dong as soon as the hearing began in courtroom 404.


Former Chairman Lee was brought to trial on charges of embezzlement in the course of duty and violation of the Attorney-at-Law Act.


The judge asked, "Has the trial ever been postponed due to COVID-19 testing?" When former Chairman Lee replied, "(The statement in the witness application form) was due to an error," the judge’s expression hardened.


He also questioned, "Why did you request again for witnesses that the court had dismissed?"


Before the answer, "What I applied for was..." was finished, the judge raised his voice, saying, "Isn't it recorded because Lee Sang-dong said so?"


There was also a conflict of opinion with the defense counsel, who claimed that they did not vigorously dispute the embezzlement charge.


The judge countered, "From the beginning of the trial, the charge was disputed and related witness examinations were conducted. More than a year has already been spent."


The judge plans to deliver the verdict on January 13 next year.


Originally, the verdict was supposed to be delivered on October 28, but it was postponed after the defendant’s side requested additional trial dates due to newly appointing defense counsel. So far, the defense counsel has changed three times during the trial.


The judge stated, "We gave opportunities to fully guarantee the right to defense," and emphasized, "We gave enough time and will definitely deliver the verdict on January 13."


He added, "In fact, the court has finished reviewing the case records and has already written the judgment. The trial dates were held to provide opportunities."


In the final argument, the defense counsel denied the embezzlement charge, saying, "It was used for official purposes, and more personal money was spent." Regarding the charges of bribery and violation of the Attorney-at-Law Act, they acknowledged them and emphasized there are mitigating circumstances.


When asked by the court if he had any final words, former Chairman Lee briefly said, "I agree with my defense counsel’s opinion."


Earlier, the prosecution demanded a three-year prison sentence and a fine of 53 million won against former Chairman Lee.


Former Chairman Lee was indicted on charges of receiving 50 million won from club officials under the pretext of benefits such as a "dance permission ordinance" related to an incident on July 27, 2019, at a club in Seo-gu, Gwangju, where two people died and 34 were injured.


He is also accused of embezzling 118 million won in operating expenses from a company he runs.


Meanwhile, on the 19th, former Chairman Lee lost his qualification as an elected official after the court ruled in favor of the plaintiff in an "election invalidation confirmation lawsuit" filed by the opposing candidate’s side, citing errors such as the incorrect number of delegates eligible to vote. He thereby lost his status as an elected official.





This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing