Former President Jeon Du-hwan leaving his home in Yeonhui-dong to attend the appellate trial held in Gwangju on August 9th this year. Photo by Yonhap News

Former President Jeon Du-hwan leaving his home in Yeonhui-dong to attend the appellate trial held in Gwangju on August 9th this year. Photo by Yonhap News

View original image

[Asia Economy Honam Reporting Headquarters Reporter Park Jin-hyung] Civic groups in Gwangju unanimously condemned the death of Jeon Du-hwan, stating their opposition to a state funeral.


Jeon, who had been suffering from chronic illness, passed away at the age of 90 on the morning of the 23rd at his home in Yeonhui-dong, Seoul.


Park Jae-man, Secretary General of the Gwangju Civic Groups Council, told this outlet, "I cannot offer condolences on the death of Jeon Du-hwan, who seized power by mobilizing the military and massacred the citizens of Gwangju."


He added, "It is regrettable that historical accountability was not pursued. To even mention a state funeral for such a person is absurd and absolutely unacceptable for establishing a correct historical record."


Ki Woo-sik, Secretary General of the Participating Organizations 21, also stated, "It is a shame and disgrace to society that a dictator who destroyed democratic constitutional order died comfortably at home instead of in prison."


He continued, "We must firmly establish the democratic value that power cannot be seized through illegal means," emphasizing, "There must never be any honor of a state funeral or burial in a national cemetery."


He urged, "Not as a matter of personal revenge, but to clearly affirm that democratic values must never be violated, a special law should be enacted to recover the confiscated assets."


The Gwangju branch of the Korean Teachers and Education Workers Union also issued a statement opposing the state funeral, saying, "He published memoirs that belittled and distorted the May 18 Gwangju Democratization Movement, wounding the victims, their families, Gwangju citizens, and the people of the Republic of Korea."


They warned, "We must not repeat the mistakes made during the Roh Tae-woo administration," and urged, "We must never insult the citizens who have shed blood, sweat, and tears for life and democracy against the massacre."


Finally, they pointed out, "We must widely publicize, document, and educate about the harm caused by the massacre who ended his life without apology or remorse, to prevent such tragedies from recurring."


Citizens are also sending cold stares.


Jeon Ju-hyun (64), a May 18 merit recipient, criticized, "A heinous criminal who trampled on constitutional history and massacred citizens died hiding the truth without apology. There is no way to wash away the blood and tears shed by the victims."


Office worker Kim said, "I am filled with anger at the peaceful death of a dictator who should have disappeared on the gallows. The pain of the victims is ongoing, and his death without apology is itself a crime."





This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing