Criticism of Rep. Yoon Mi-hyang at Ministry of Gender Equality and Family Audit
7 Cases of Legal Violations in Subsidy Management by Ministry
"Measures Needed to Recover Subsidies"
‘Gieok-ui Teo’ Jeong Dae-hyeop Criticized for Omitting Victims' Names

Minister Jeong Young-ae of the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family attended the National Assembly's Gender Equality and Family Committee's audit on the 22nd and is reporting on her duties. Photo by Yoon Dong-joo doso7@

Minister Jeong Young-ae of the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family attended the National Assembly's Gender Equality and Family Committee's audit on the 22nd and is reporting on her duties. Photo by Yoon Dong-joo doso7@

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporters Han Jinju and Jeon Jinyoung] During the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family’s national audit, opposition parties continued their attacks against independent lawmaker Yoon Mee-hyang. There were also demands for the recovery of subsidies amid allegations of embezzlement of donations intended for Japanese military comfort women victims.


At the National Assembly’s Gender Equality and Family Committee audit on the 21st, People Power Party lawmaker Yang Geum-hee pointed out, "The prosecution’s investigation into lawmaker Yoon Mee-hyang revealed eight charges including embezzlement and breach of trust in the course of duty," adding, "There are seven violations related to subsidy management laws under the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family. From 2014 to last year, Yoon submitted false applications to the ministry and received national subsidies."


Yang said, "Including this amount, from 2012, the Korean Council for Justice and Remembrance for the Issues of Military Sexual Slavery by Japan (Jeongdaehyeop) received 1.3 billion KRW, and the Justice and Memory Foundation (Jeonguiyeon) 1.1 billion KRW, totaling 2.4 billion KRW in subsidies from the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family," and questioned, "If the remaining assets are disposed of before the court ruling, how does the ministry plan to recover the national subsidies obtained by deceiving the ministry?"


People Power Party lawmaker Kim Mi-ae referred to the prosecution’s indictment stating that Yoon embezzled about 65 million KRW in personnel subsidies paid by the ministry. Kim argued, "Even while the trial is ongoing, the ministry should take preservation measures to recover the subsidies."


In response, Minister of Gender Equality and Family Jeong Young-ae said, "The competent authority for recovery measures is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and since the liquidation process requires cost recovery, we already requested cooperation for preservation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in February or March to prevent this," adding, "Regarding the 65.2 million KRW in project and facility operation expenses paid by the ministry, we will take action according to the trial results."


Kim Mi-ae criticized, "The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has done nothing and may not grant permission. If the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family just uses the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as an excuse and does nothing, won’t it result in a total loss of national funds?"


Kim also pointed out, "The former minister said last year there were no procedural issues, but after the indictment on September 14, it became clear that the current projects were not actively reviewed. The Korean Council for Justice and Remembrance applied for subsidies to use as personnel expenses, and the ministry transferred the funds to the council’s account, but the employee then embezzled from that account," she said.


Minister Jeong responded, "Whether the employee voluntarily gave money to the council or if there was an organized situation is the issue currently being contested in the trial."


The part with former lawmaker Yoon’s name inscribed at 'Gieok-ui Teo' located in Namsan, Seoul, was also criticized. Gieok-ui Teo is a space established in August 2016 by the Seoul Metropolitan Government and the Korean Council for Justice and Remembrance, where the names and testimonies of Japanese military comfort women victims and records of Japanese wartime atrocities are preserved.


Kim said, "The names of grandmothers who were the first to be recognized as victims by Japan’s highest court, as well as those who criticized the Korean Council, are omitted from Gieok-ui Teo. These women are not non-victims, but Yoon Mee-hyang cannot arbitrarily decide who the victims are," adding, "Yoon Mee-hyang’s name is prominently displayed and must be removed immediately."



Minister Jeong replied, "Even if some grandmothers’ names are missing, the ministry cannot arbitrarily add names, nor can we ask the bereaved families for the deceased’s wishes."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing