The late Son Jeongmin's friend files additional defamation charges against 443 malicious commenters
A memorial space for the late medical student Son Jeong-min, who went missing in the Han River and was found dead, was set up near the incident site at Banpo Hangang Park, Seocho-gu, Seoul, on June 1, while the police investigation into the case was ongoing. Photo by Yonhap News
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Moon Hyewon] On the 8th, the friend A of university student Son Jeongmin, who was found dead in the Han River, filed a complaint with the police against about 400 netizens who posted malicious comments targeting himself and his family.
Jung Byeongwon, the lead attorney of Law Firm One & Partners representing A, said on the same day, "We sent a complaint by mail to the Cyber Crime Investigation Unit of the Gyeonggi Nambu Police Agency requesting investigation into 443 people who posted malicious comments on a specific Naver cafe for violating the Information and Communications Network Act (defamation) and other charges."
One & Partners reportedly decided to file complaints against netizens who posted 655 posts and comments on the Naver cafe from May 2 to June 4, considering them potentially defamatory against A.
Attorney Jung said, "Excessive malicious comments targeting A continue to be posted online," adding, "We plan to continue legal actions such as complaints against such illegal acts in the future."
Previously, on the 6th of last month, One & Partners filed complaints with the Seocho Police Station against 273 netizens who posted malicious comments targeting A for violating the Information and Communications Network Act and insult charges.
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- Land Ownership Permitted in Free Trade Zones... Pricing Based on State Property Act
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
- "Am I Really in the Top 30%?" and "Worried About My Girlfriend in the Bottom 70%"... Buzz Over High Oil Price Relief Fund
- "It Has Now Crossed Borders": No Vaccine or Treatment as Bundibugyo Ebola Variant Spreads [Reading Science]
Also, recently, a certified letter requesting the removal of a YouTube video insulting A was sent to Google, and they received a reply indicating willingness to provide personal information of the malicious commenters.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.