"You Have to Keep Protecting" Youths Guarding the Statue on 'Comfort Women Memorial Day'
Comfort Women Victims Memorial Day... Girl Statue 'Terror' Continues
Some Conservative Groups Mock the Girl Statue
Youths Sit-in to Protect the Girl Statue
Political Circles Unite in Emphasizing Victim Recovery
The 'Statue of Peace' symbolizing the victims of Japanese military sexual slavery, erected in front of the former Japanese Embassy in Jongno-gu, Seoul. Photo by Seulgi Yoon, intern reporter seul97@asiae.co.kr
View original image[Asia Economy reporters Han Seung-gon and Yoon Seul-gi] "It is especially moving as we mark the 30th anniversary since Grandma Kim Hak-soon’s first testimony in 1991."
On the afternoon of the 13th, Kim, a man in his 20s and a member of the 'Anti-Japan Action' group, met in front of the 'Statue of Peace' symbolizing the victims of the Japanese military sexual slavery, located in front of the former Japanese Embassy in Jongno-gu, Seoul. He shared his thoughts on the 30th anniversary of the 'Day of Remembrance for the Victims of Japanese Military Sexual Slavery.'
The late Grandma Kim Hak-soon was the first to publicly testify about being a victim of the Japanese military sexual slavery during a press conference on August 14, 1991. She revealed her status as a victim and painfully exposed to the international community the forced mobilization of Korean women and the establishment of comfort stations by the Japanese military.
In response, the 11th Asia Solidarity Conference in 2012 designated August 14 as the 'World Day of Remembrance for the Victims of Japanese Military Sexual Slavery.' Since 2018, the South Korean government has also designated this day as a national memorial day.
However, violence against the Statue of Peace continues even after 30 years. Conservative groups visit the site to mock and insult the statue, and related exhibitions held in Japan have seen organizers subjected to threats. This is why young people in their 20s gather near the statue daily to stage sit-in protests.
Behind the statue visited that day, a banner read, "Abolish the treasonous Korea-Japan agreement! Apologize and compensate for war crimes! Eradicate the traitorous groups!" along with the phrases "Overnight sit-in protest, day 2054" and "Sit-in protest, day 417."
The overnight sit-in began in protest against the hasty handling of the 2015 Korea-Japan agreement on the Japanese military sexual slavery issue, and the sit-in protest started last June when a conservative group opposed the Wednesday demonstrations held in front of the former Japanese Embassy.
As a result, the atmosphere near the statue was calm, but a subtle tension lingered, possibly due to the police stationed around and the tents of conservative groups labeled "Freedom."
A sculpture urging an apology to Japan located at the protest site next to the Statue of a Girl. Photo by Yoon Seulgi, intern reporter seul97@asiae.co.kr
View original image◆ "Did you get paid? Remove the statue"?Mockery at the Statue of Peace
Kim, a member of the 'Anti-Japan Action' group met at the site that day, said that due to COVID-19, the number of visitors has decreased significantly. Kim said, "Many citizens come to see the Statue of Peace," but added, "It is unfortunate that not many can gather now because the COVID-19 alert level has been raised to level 4."
He continued, "It has been 2054 days since we started the overnight sit-in protest, and we have published a book about the protest. We also plan to hold related events." Alongside group members, citizens voluntarily come to help protect the statue.
Regarding difficulties related to the sit-in protest, Kim said, "We have been conducting the sit-in protest for 417 days. Due to COVID-19, we sit apart one by one near the statue to protect it." He added, "Since last year, far-right groups have appeared, claiming 'Remove the statue,' attempting to invade or attack the statue. So, we tied ourselves to the statue and sat down to hold a sit-in protest to protect it."
He lamented, "A year ago, many conservative group members came, but recently they only show up during the 'Wednesday Demonstrations.' Otherwise, people presumed to be from conservative groups suddenly come and say, 'Did you get paid? Remove the statue,' and then leave." He added, "Conflicts happen frequently," and explained, "We are in a situation where we have to protect the statue ourselves."
A memorial space for the grandmothers who were victims of the Japanese military sexual slavery near the Statue of Peace. Photo by Yoon Seulgi, intern reporter seul97@asiae.co.kr
View original image◆ Attacks on the Statue of Peace Are Not New... Far-Right Threats in Japan Too
As Kim described, violence against the statue is not a recent phenomenon. On June 23 last year, physical clashes occurred between conservative-leaning citizens and participants in a rally for the victims of Japanese military sexual slavery. During the incident, members of both groups gathered in a moment, and some engaged in physical fights.
At that time, university students from the 'Anti-Abe Anti-Japan Youth Joint Action' group refused to yield to the conservative groups and began an emergency action by sitting around the statue within a 2-meter radius from midnight, tying themselves to the statue and their bodies with ropes in a sit-in protest.
Meanwhile, the 'Expression Without Freedom Exhibition Kansai,' held at an exhibition hall in Osaka from July 16 to 18, which displayed the Statue of Peace and related items, also faced threats from far-right groups.
According to Kyodo News on July 16, Japanese right-wing forces sent mail to the exhibition venue warning, "If the exhibition proceeds, unexpected incidents will occur," including "destruction of exhibition facilities and personal attacks." The threats are believed to have been sent by far-right groups dissatisfied with the exhibition plans to disrupt the event.
Additionally, on July 6, a similar exhibition showcasing the Statue of Peace opened in Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture, but was suspended after a package containing what appeared to be fireworks and a threatening letter was delivered.
During the 2019 international art festival 'Aichi Triennale,' when the 'Expression Without Freedom Exhibition' was held, the exhibition was also halted after three days due to protests and terror threats from right-wing groups.
◆ President Moon: "We Will Uphold the International Principle of Victim-Centered Resolution"?Ruling and Opposition United in Emphasizing Victim Restoration
Amid ongoing acts of what can be described as terrorism against the Statue of Peace, Professor Seo Kyung-duk of Sungshin Women’s University produced and released a Chinese-language version of a video criticizing former Japanese Prime Minister Abe Shinzo on the 'Day of Remembrance for the Victims of Japanese Military Sexual Slavery,' which was shared on YouTube and other platforms.
The 45-second video released by Professor Seo includes statements by former U.S. President Barack Obama regarding the Japanese military sexual slavery, statements from the Dutch Foreign Minister, and the Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson, presenting the global response to the issue of 'Japanese military sexual slavery.'
The video strongly condemns Japan by featuring Abe’s remarks in animated form, including his actual voice saying, "Baseless slander that Japan nationally enslaved women as sex slaves is spreading worldwide," a blatant falsehood.
The term "slander" means "damaging someone's honor or status by baseless accusations," implying Abe claimed Japan did nothing wrong.
Professor Seo explained the background of the video’s production: "The Japanese government tries to prevent the installation of the Statue of Peace worldwide and always attempts to hide the history of Japanese military sexual slavery, so I wanted to widely inform people around the world through this video."
Meanwhile, President Moon Jae-in and political circles expressed a unified will to restore the victims’ honor. At a video memorial ceremony held on the 14th for the 'Day of Remembrance for the Victims of Japanese Military Sexual Slavery,' President Moon emphasized, "Resolving the comfort women issue is about not repeating the unfortunate past."
President Moon also stated, "We will firmly uphold the international principle and norm of 'victim-centered resolution,'" and added, "I hope young people in Korea, Japan, and around the world understand each other through the lives of the surviving grandmothers."
The Democratic Party’s National Women’s Committee declared, "We reaffirm that the issue of Japanese military sexual slavery is a crime against humanity committed by Japan," and urged, "The Japanese government must stop distorting history and fulfill its national responsibility through official apologies and historical education."
They also stated, "It is time to actively consider the future of the comfort women movement beyond truth-finding and restoring honor," and insisted, "We must establish consistent and systematic measures to support victims, clarify historical and legal facts, and respond to distortions."
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
- "Am I Really in the Top 30%?" and "Worried About My Girlfriend in the Bottom 70%"... Buzz Over High Oil Price Relief Fund
- "It Has Now Crossed Borders": No Vaccine or Treatment as Bundibugyo Ebola Variant Spreads [Reading Science]
In a statement, People Power Party spokesperson Yang Jun-woo said, "We will honor the victims who courageously sought the truth and never forget this painful history," and added, "The government should solidify its diplomatic stance toward Japan for national interests while striving to receive sincere apologies from Japan."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.