"Golden Holiday, But..."...Will the Government's Appeal to Refrain from Movement on Gwangbokjeol Work?
Daily COVID-19 Cases Around 2,000
Turning Point of 3-Day 'Gwangbokjeol Golden Holiday'
Government Promotes 'Stay at Home' Campaign During Vacation Season
Large-Scale Rally Planned in Seoul Downtown
Vacation Plan 인증샷 Continue on SNS
On the 10th, the seawall road and sandy beach at Haeundae Beach in Busan appeared quiet. / Photo by Yonhap News
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Lim Juhyung] As the daily number of COVID-19 confirmed cases continues to hover around 2,000, concerns are rising about the upcoming 'Gwangbokjeol Golden Holiday' starting on the 14th. The government has urged citizens to "refrain from traveling during the holiday" to prevent the spread of infection. However, with a large-scale rally planned in downtown Seoul during the same period and many citizens already preparing for vacations, there is growing anxiety that it may be insufficient to stop the massive population movement during the holiday season.
According to the quarantine authorities, as of midnight on the 12th, the daily number of COVID-19 confirmed cases was 1,987. Although this is a decrease from 2,223 cases on the previous day (the 11th), infections continue unabated, remaining around the 2,000 mark daily.
Despite the metropolitan area's social distancing level 4, the COVID-19 pandemic shows no signs of subsiding, and the government is concerned about the golden holiday starting on the 14th. The massive population movement during the vacation season could spread infections nationwide.
In this regard, Bae Kyung-taek, head of the Central Disease Control Headquarters (CDCH) Situation Management Team, said at a COVID-19 briefing on the 12th, "Although it is a rare holiday, movement and travel can increase the probability of infection spread," and urged, "Please refrain from traveling and moving during the Gwangbokjeol holiday and stay at home."
Bae emphasized, "Children have not been able to meet friends for the past year due to COVID-19 and have attended classes remotely. To realize the second semester's school attendance as planned, adults' cooperation with quarantine measures is absolutely necessary."
On the morning of the 10th, in front of Donghwa Duty Free Shop in Jongno-gu, Seoul, officials from the National Revolutionary Party and the National Special Investigation Team held a press conference for the "August 15 Ten Million Citizens One-Person Walking Rally." / Photo by Yonhap News
View original imageHowever, suppressing population movement during the vacation season is expected to face difficulties. A rally is scheduled in downtown Seoul starting on the first day of the holiday, the 14th. Previously, the National Revolutionary Party, led by Pastor Jeon Kwang-hoon of Sarang Jeil Church, announced, "We will hold a one-person walking rally for 10 million citizens from the 14th to the 16th to resist the fraudulent quarantine martial law of the Moon Jae-in administration."
They plan to circulate through downtown Seoul, including Seoul Station, City Hall Square, Deoksugung Palace, and in front of Donghwa Duty-Free Shop. Moreover, it is reported that about 300 rallies have been registered with the police for the Gwangbokjeol holiday period in downtown areas.
Some citizens planning local trips during the vacation season could also become a catalyst for infection spread. On the 13th, social networking services (SNS) such as Instagram have been flooded with 'proof shots' from those who have already left for local vacations.
Given this situation, citizens express concern that the government's request to "refrain from traveling" alone may be insufficient to prevent the massive population movement.
A 20-year-old office worker, Mr. A, said, "Since it is a rare golden holiday, people around me are excited," adding, "Even if social distancing is raised to level 4, those who want to go out still go, so I worry whether the government's request alone can stop the mass movement during the vacation season."
Another office worker, Mr. B (33), said, "I have already designated substitute holidays and raised my expectations for the holiday, so suddenly being told not to travel is confusing," and pointed out, "The quarantine authorities need to prepare clearer messages or guidelines for the vacation season."
On the morning of the 12th, the screening clinic set up at Seoul Plaza is crowded. / Photo by Yonhap News
View original imageThe government plans to urge citizens' voluntary participation to reduce travel during the vacation season and take a firm stance against violations of quarantine guidelines.
The Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters (CDSCH) plans to promote a nationwide campaign titled "Stay at Home During the 8.15 Gwangbokjeol Holiday." During the vacation period, CDSCH will spread the campaign message "We must stop for COVID-19 to stop" through card news, web posters, safety alert texts, and subtitle broadcasts, urging active participation from the public.
They also plan to strictly respond to illegal rallies that violate quarantine rules.
Hot Picks Today
"It Has Now Crossed Borders": No Vaccine or Treatment as Bundibugyo Ebola Variant Spreads [Reading Science]
- Samsung Electronics Labor-Management Reach Agreement, General Strike Postponed... "Deficit-Business Unit Allocation Deferred for One Year"
- "Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "From a 70 Million Won Loss to a 350 Million Won Profit with Samsung and SK hynix"... 'Stock Jackpot' Grandfather Gains Attention
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
Jeon Hae-cheol, CDSCH Deputy Head and Minister of the Ministry of the Interior and Safety, said at a CDSCH meeting held at the Government Sejong Complex on the 10th, "Although large and small rallies have been reported in Seoul, including the Gwanghwamun area, ahead of the Gwangbokjeol holiday, most have been notified of prohibition," adding, "We strongly request the suspension of rallies, and if rallies violating quarantine rules are forcibly held, the government will respond strictly according to law and principles."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.