[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Yang Nak-gyu, Military Specialist Reporter] As COVID-19 vaccination for soldiers under 30 gains momentum, attention is focusing on whether joint exercises will be conducted in the second half of the year. In particular, with the COVID-19 vaccination rate among US Forces Korea reportedly already exceeding 70%, it appears that the exercises will proceed normally, but the current government seems to be taking a step back.


On the 8th, the Ministry of National Defense announced that as of the previous day, 35,374 soldiers under 30 had been vaccinated. This accounts for 8.5% of the approximately 414,000 eligible personnel.


The Ministry of National Defense will carry out the first and second doses of the Pfizer vaccine for soldiers under 30 at 91 military vaccination centers nationwide until July 16. The total number of soldiers under 30 is about 414,000, and as of the 3rd, approximately 358,000 had agreed to be vaccinated. Soldiers under 30 who are scheduled for discharge (on pre-discharge leave) can return to their units according to the unit’s vaccination plan and receive the vaccine if they wish.


The Ministry expects to complete vaccinations for the target group by July. Since the Pfizer vaccine requires a second dose at a three-week interval, it is expected that the second dose will also be completed within July. Initially, soldiers under 30 were to begin COVID-19 vaccination from mid-month, but the schedule was moved up due to improvements in domestic vaccine supply.


Additionally, for soldiers and civilian employees aged 30 and over who began receiving the AstraZeneca (AZ) COVID-19 vaccine developed in the UK from April 28, the second dose is scheduled to start from July 14, and herd immunity within the military is expected to form as early as July.


The Janssen vaccine, donated by the United States to Korea, will also begin vaccinations on the 10th for reservists, civil defense personnel, and defense sector workers. The planned amount has increased from the initially planned 550,000 doses to about 1.01 million doses, raising expectations for increased domestic vaccination rates.


With military vaccinations expected to be completed by July, attention is turning to the Korea-US joint military exercises scheduled for August.


There are speculations that large-scale live training may become possible due to COVID-19 vaccinations, but the current government is also calling for dialogue to be initiated by suspending or reducing joint exercises.


On the 6th, Minister of Unification Lee In-young appeared on KBS Sunday Diagnosis Live and said regarding the Korea-US joint military exercises scheduled for August, "We need to go through policy coordination as flexibly as possible." He argued that the Korea-US exercises should be reduced or postponed.



Minister Lee said, "We do not want the Korea-US joint exercises to create or further escalate tensions on the Korean Peninsula." He added, "Considering several situations comprehensively, I think a final decision on how to handle the joint exercises should be made," and said, "I hope North Korea will also approach the joint exercises flexibly."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing