Police to Send Middle School Student Who Vandalized Park Young-sun Posters with 'Non-prosecution Opinion'... Guidance Program to be Conducted
On March 26, last month, ahead of the April 7 by-election, election posters of Seoul mayoral candidates were posted on a street in Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul. Photo by Hyunmin Kim kimhyun81@
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Lee Jung-yoon] The police plan to send the case of a middle school student A (13), who damaged election posters of Seoul mayoral candidates running in the April 7 by-election, to the juvenile court with a recommendation for non-prosecution.
Jang Ha-yeon, Commissioner of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency, said at a press briefing on the 26th, "The investigation results show that there is an admission of the charges, making it inevitable to send the case," but added, "If the subject's actions are minor or if the results of a self-conducted guidance program are considered, and it is judged that protective measures are unnecessary, the police can submit an opinion stating that there is no need for review or protective measures when recommending the case for transfer."
He continued, "Taking into account the request for leniency and the guidance program conducted by the police last week, if protective measures are deemed unnecessary overall, we plan to fully include such content in the opinion letter to be sent."
He also said, "According to the Juvenile Act, those under the age of 10 to 14 are considered 'chokbeopsonyeon' (juveniles exempt from criminal punishment), and protective measures take priority in handling and punishment, so the procedures proceed differently. According to related regulations, if criminal charges are recognized, all cases must be sent to the juvenile court."
The Seocho Police Station conducted a youth guidance program through an external specialized institution and plans to send the case to the juvenile court with a recommendation for non-prosecution. Once the results of the program are received, the police intend to include their opinion when transferring the case. The police will issue a non-prosecution recommendation if the damage is minor, the victim agrees to a settlement, the offender shows remorse, or actively participates in the guidance program, indicating a high possibility of improvement.
Earlier, on the 2nd, Seocho Police Station apprehended student A, who damaged election posters with an ice cream wooden stick in an apartment complex in Seocho-gu. He is suspected of damaging the posters of candidate No. 1 Park Young-sun of the Democratic Party and candidate No. 11 Kim Jin-ah of the Women's Party using the ice cream wooden stick.
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "You Might Regret Not Buying Now"... Overseas Retail Investors Stirred by News of Record-Breaking Monster Stocks' IPOs
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- Ruling Party Launches 'Odtuk Campaign Team' for Local Election Losers... Campaign Support Begins on the 21st
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
However, as news spread that the police would proceed with the case according to procedure, backlash arose, including a Blue House petition titled '"A middle school student who damaged Park Young-sun’s election poster "as a joke"... soon to be sent to juvenile court" ? is this real?' Former candidate Park also posted on social media on the 24th, "Reading the article makes my heart very heavy. I ask for leniency."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.